removing the frame from a tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
removing the frame from a tank

I read a couple posts about removing the frame off fish tanks, but I would like to know if anyone has tried it and how safe it is?
I bought a 20 long at petco tonight hoping I could do it.
Since the 20 long is fairly short, I think it will be okay. But has anyone done this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

nobody?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A lot of people have done this for various size tanks. The larger the tank the fewer who have done it. For a 20L I would expect it to be perfectly safe. But, doing it can range from very easy to very hard, sometimes resulting in breaking the edges of the glass. If you are patient enough and have the right tools it can be done without a lot of trouble. However, cleaning up the silicone from the glass wasn't very easy for me.

Hoppy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You can see my de-rimmed 20L in my signature. It's still holding up strong. However, my best advice if you have never done this before is wear some gloves because the glass definitely fights back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
and clean the sharp edges of the glass with a dremel. but be careful, don't apply to much pressure.

I derimmed a 75 and its still going strong after almost a year now, Its my 75 holding tank in sig.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Hoppy's right it isn't all that simple to get that silicone off. There's a chart out there in Cyber space that talks about thickness vs. height/lenght for rimless builds.

I do not remember what the 1/4" spec was. But, they 3/8" (the size I built) was 24". So, I'd consider a 20L relatively safe to de-rim.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the replies.
I managed to get the front of the top rim off tonight. will do more of it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
You can see my de-rimmed 20L in my signature. It's still holding up strong. However, my best advice if you have never done this before is wear some gloves because the glass definitely fights back.
How did you get the bottom trim off?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I managed to get the front of the top rim off tonight. will do more of it tomorrow.

How did you get the bottom trim off?
go all around with a razor to separate tthe silicone from the plastic, than cut the trim in the middle (I used the dremel) and start pulling slowly while you use a razor.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been working at it for a while and this is how far I've gotten.

Last night I got some silicone latex remover from Home Depot. It works great, but there are some spots the razor can't get off. I will worry about it when I get the rest of the trim off.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i did this and let me tell you, DO NOT put your foot on the bottom of the tank when you take the bottom rim off, i did this and my foot broke through the glass.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
i did this and let me tell you, DO NOT put your foot on the bottom of the tank when you take the bottom rim off, i did this and my foot broke through the glass.
I don't mean to be rude, but that made me laugh.

Between the time of my last post and now, I got the rest of the trim off. It is much easier once you get one side off and you get an idea of what you are doing.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but that made me laugh.

Between the time of my last post and now, I got the rest of the trim off. It is much easier once you get one side off and you get an idea of what you are doing.
its not rude. i laughed when it happened and then got sad bc i broke my tank.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Now the hard work begins Just remember, don't try to expand your vocabulary too much as it gets frustrating.

I bought a small silicon carbide sharpening stone when I did mine, and used it to break the sharp edges before I tried to remove the silicone. The edges can be very sharp.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode