Can I use this LEDs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Can I use this LEDs?

Hello All,

Quick question.
On the eBay I have seen 12000mcd Ultra Bright Flat head White LEDs, Can I use them for 10G semi high-tech setup?
They are 180deg (flat head) and I think 45deg (regular round). around 5000k in color and ~3.5v 75mA max
100 LEDs for $6 - most important factor

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You would have to use a very large number of those low power LEDs to get nearly enough light to grow plants in a 10 gallon tank. It isn't worth the effort. Get at least 1 watt LEDs on Ebay, preferably 3 watt ones. Then you only need a few, and the whole project is much simpler and more effective.

Here is some information that might help you: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...led-light.html

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Thanks Hoppy.

I think I have some 3W "star" LEDs but not much. I think it will be just enough for 5G setup. It's OK, if it works I will make something bigger for my other tank.
So top of the 5G tank is 16.5"x8.3" and if I use two 1" U channels how many LEDs do I nee to install? Or how much is 200 PAR?
If I place LEDs 2" a part, I think it will be too bright (7 LEDs in each channel)

Thanks.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
How many LEDs and at what spacing depends on what current you drive them at. It also depends on how much PAR you want to get. I think a good goal for non dimmable LED lights is around 50 micromols at the substrate level. If you overshoot you can adjust the driver to a lower current. If you undershoot - well it is best not to undershoot. That thread I linked to shows a way to guess how much PAR you get with 1 watt LEDs driven at whatever current it says. With 3 watt LEDs it depends on which LEDs they are.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode