My cat fell in my fish tank.... Yes that right... fell in - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Pandorasdoll
My cat fell in my fish tank.... Yes that right... fell in

Soooooo.....

I hear a crash and I look up and I see my cat half in my 55g tank, desperately holding on to the filter. After I fished him out, and the top of my tank.... I realized that his weight broke the center support. I have added some water conditioner to hopefully try and help them with the stress.

But what do i do about the center support? It was already broken on one end, and some gorilla glue and prayers helped before this CAT-trastophie (get it?? ha ha) but what do I do now??? This tank is barely a week old, and buying a new one is out of the question....

So please help...

Thanks!!!

I'm not a dictator, I'm just aggressively suggestive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Id call whereever I got it from it was broken only 1 week after getting it. Maybe they will help you out on replacing the trim peice or something. If not you could always do a DIY euro brace, which is a brace made of glass. Google that (DIY Euro Bracing) and I am sure you will get some ideas. Also I have seen people who used a strip of SS or painted steel shaped like this [____________] but flipped upside down. The bent portions would slip over the outside of the trim, but also these guys usually had a canopy that would cover the exposed metal on the front of the trim.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Pandorasdoll
xxbenjamminxx: I would, but i got it off of craigslist... I will however look into your suggestions... thanks!!

I'm not a dictator, I'm just aggressively suggestive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Ahh, was thinking like you bought it new a week ago. Otherwise Glasscages.com sells new trim pieces so you could just order one of them and replace it with some silicone as well.

Good luck and hope you get it straightened out.

Bad Kitty!

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
All Glass Aquariums (Aqueon) also sell the trim pieces. I even told them that I didn't have the original sales receipt b/c I got it off of CL. They still sent me a brand new trim and a tube of silicone for the repair. GREAT company and customer service. I defiantly sent in some great high rating for the lady that took care of me.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know you said buying a new one is out of the question, but petco is having their $1 a gallon sale right now, so a 55g would cost ya just $55. Probably easier than replacing the top frame, or doing a patch on the brace.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
im sorry i had to laugh reading this post...

it would make one hell of an awesome you tube video if u filmed it..

Cat: Oh fishies..
Fishies: Strange furry thing 12 o'clock
Cat: Nom Nom... ahhhh no.... *slash*....
Fishes 1 : Cat 0

Is the cat OK tho? Id worry more on the Cat...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Whats the big deal here? Catfish are highly touted in this hobby...

Seriously though, that is crazy! I am hoping the cat is OK, the fish make it, and it all works out. I know sometimes these things can be stressful due to unneeded complications on an already complicated subject, but realize SSSSSSOOOOOO many worse things can happen

Also - what do you mean by the center support? I was thinking about cutting mine out (if it is what I think it is) - the thin piece of plastic from back to front in the middle to support the glass hood?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I know this is of no help but I wish there was a picture of this! I can picture my cat doing this and pray that she doesn't! Hope everything is ok and you get the brace fixed!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
My gerr... incredibly old standard 55 gallon's middle support is broken too. There is a piece of metal that they retrofitted to where the center support should be, and the tank doesn't have any issues when filled, no bowing or anything. Look into some T-bar supports that you can put across it. If my Petco would ever stock the 55 gallons for that sale i would definitely buy one, but sigh they never do.

On another note- that cat doesn't happen to be a short haired female calico is it? Just wondering if my cat somehow ended up at your house, as I have had the same exact thing happen...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post

Also - what do you mean by the center support? I was thinking about cutting mine out (if it is what I think it is) - the thin piece of plastic from back to front in the middle to support the glass hood?
Most tanks that have center braces have them for structural support. They keep the long span of glass from bowing out. For the majority of tanks, it is a very bad idea to remove the brace.

They're almost never there just to support a light/hood/glass tops

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode