Concentrated liquid dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Concentrated liquid dosing

What are the concentrations (in ppm) of potassium nitrate and ammonium nitrate in saturated solution?

I have a 1cc dosing syringe, and tons of bulk dry powder. I'm trying to dose a 15G high-light tank. I'm using Excel for carbon, and I have 48W of T5HO and sunlight both on the tank (so it gets a snotload of light). I dose 1cc of Flourish, 0.3cc of Flourish Iron, 2cc of Flourish Excel, and I want to maintain a regimen of potassium and nitrogen. I'd like to focus on the KNO3 being my nitrogen source as well, because of the extra ammonia present in NH4NO3, however I feel that the nitrobacter will benefit from having an extra ammonia source.

Thoughts?

SunSun Pimp #10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Dude, too much light. No offense, but you can dose whatever amount of fertilizer you feel necessary, your still not going to have enough co2...algae goes bam.

Note, there's 2 different types of ammonia related to aquariums. And NH4NO3 is NOT ammonia, it's ammonium nitrate. When split, it turns into NH4 + N03. The NH4 only combines with an OH- molecule which makes it a weak base, which will not harm fish or do anything but sit there. By itself, NH4+, is an ammonium ion. Ammonia is in the form of NH3.

Also, There is NO ammonia in KNO3, which is all you should be dosing for Nitrogen and Potassium. Possibly potassium sulfate in the form of K2SO4, the sulfur sulfur is only a binder and does not affect anything. The ammonia that you are speaking of shouldn't really be existent and should come directly from fish or decaying plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm watching the algae and light, and will inject CO2 if it comes to require it. It will be easy to do since I'm using a canister filter.

NH4+ will turn into ammonia in the presence of acidic conditions, but either way I'm not terribly concerned about it because the nitrogen cycle will handle it, and plants are plenty happy to munch on whatever nitrogen source is available. I know there's no ammonia in KNO3, upon re-reading what I'd written in my original post it was slighly unclear what I was trying to do.

That said, I'm ultimately looking for the concentrations of KNO3 and NH4NO3 when in saturated aqueous solutions, so I know how much to safely dose.

SunSun Pimp #10

- 29G, 130W PC lighting, Red Sea CO2 on 20# tank, SunSun 303B, Custom ferts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If you look at wet's calculator and check the levels for RootMedic macro you will see the near saturation levels for kno3. It is by all definitions super saturated with NPK all in one.

If I was you, I would NOT attempt to make a saturated solution at home. Instead make something about half of that. It is easier to get into solution and more stable. Just dose 2x as much liquid.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by insta View Post
I'm watching the algae and light, and will inject CO2 if it comes to require it. It will be easy to do since I'm using a canister filter.

NH4+ will turn into ammonia in the presence of acidic conditions, but either way I'm not terribly concerned about it because the nitrogen cycle will handle it, and plants are plenty happy to munch on whatever nitrogen source is available. I know there's no ammonia in KNO3, upon re-reading what I'd written in my original post it was slighly unclear what I was trying to do.

That said, I'm ultimately looking for the concentrations of KNO3 and NH4NO3 when in saturated aqueous solutions, so I know how much to safely dose.
At 50 degrees celsius or 122 degrees Fahrenheit, 100 grams of water can dissolve 84.00 grams of pure KNO3. Once that cools to ~24-25 degrees celsius the solution will remain the same. In essence you should have 184 grams of solution. The solution concentration will be 100:84, so for every 1 part water, there will be .84 parts KNO3.

Now with that said, in theory, 100 grams of water should equal around 100.43 ml. according to the density of water. The density of KNO3 is 2.109 grams/ CM^3. ( 1 cm^3 = 1 cc) 84g KNO3 * / 2.109 = 39.83 ml KNO3 (equivalent ). Therefore 100.43 ml h20 + 39.83 ml kno3 = 140.25 ml.

Every 1 ml of this solution, you should have 71.6% water and 28.4% KNO3. That 28.4% will equal .59g of KNO3. In other words 1 CC (ml) of that solution will contain the equivalent of .59G of KNO3. However, that solution will only stay supersaturated IF it is not disturbed, otherwise it will crystallize and become less concentrated.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've checked it several times now and everything checks out. However, you can follow the same steps for a lesser concentration.

Is that confusing enough? 30 minutes later to figure that out.

Last edited by fishykid1; 12-17-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode