Is this the right silcone to use to reseal a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/91%)
Is this the right silcone to use to reseal a tank?

Read a few post and came up with GE(I) as being what most use so I picked some up from home depot the tube I got looks different then the other pictures of it I have seen the stuff I got is 100% silcone. So did I get the right stuff?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
yep

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
i've used that before.. works really well..

-bai

RAOK club #60

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the response spent 6 hours scrapping glass today geting a 75g ready to reseal didnt wanna do it with the wrong thing lol time to seal it up
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

read the fine print on the tube it says not for use below water line in aquariums so I guess I need to find some that doesnt have that wrote on it lol ... it is GE I 100% silcone but with it haveing that on it I dont trust it lol.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should probably read the sticky about the DIY 75g tank; the author mentions having a hardware store grade sealant blow out a pane and suggests using a high strength version available locally in many cases. ("RTV108")
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
ge 1 is weak
rtv 108 much stronger
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
For how little you really need just buy the stuff that actually says for aquarium use. What is the price difference if you calculate how much you'll wind up throwing away anyway? (Rhetorical, answer is: Not much)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoastguy View Post
read the fine print on the tube it says not for use below water line in aquariums so I guess I need to find some that doesnt have that wrote on it lol ... it is GE I 100% silcone but with it haveing that on it I dont trust it lol.
No GE I silicone says safe for aquarium use. They don't guarantee it for that purpose and by putting that on, it absolves them from any liability if you use it for that use and your tank breaks and floods your house. It is fine though and 100% silicone is 100% silicone and any 100% silicone from the LFS is the same thing, just 10x the price.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So after spending half the night reading 100's of post online about resealing tanks and the types of silcones to use I found that most said the GE I and other silcones like it are fine for tanks up to around 30g, 50g is pushing it and 75g you would have to use so much it would have been a nightmare so I took a 3 hour raod trip to Grianger in mobile,al and got GE RTV 108 I might not of had to but I will sleep better knowing I did.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally, that's the way I see it too - you went to many hours of trouble to clean off that glass, you might as well do it right. At least you'll be able to go to sleep without waking up at every little sound thinking your tank just popped.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
People have been using that exact product on aquariums for decades. You don't want GE II, and you don't want the stuff that has a mold inhibitor.

(Some people have successfully used GE II, but it leaches ammonia for a long time, so I wouldn't try it. It's much safer and easier just to use plain old GE I.)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So update I let the silicone cure for 48 hours then filled the tank and has been filled for 48 hours no with zero leaks wondering how long yall think I should wait till I bring it inside the building? I was thinking 5 days but geeze thats a long time lol built the stand yesterday for it and got everything sitting here ready to go to set it up.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoastguy View Post
So after spending half the night reading 100's of post online about resealing tanks and the types of silcones to use I found that most said the GE I and other silcones like it are fine for tanks up to around 30g, 50g is pushing it and 75g you would have to use so much it would have been a nightmare so I took a 3 hour raod trip to Grianger in mobile,al and got GE RTV 108 I might not of had to but I will sleep better knowing I did.
You could have ordered online and saved the time and gas. Just sayin'...

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode