Who's DIYing Paintball CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Who's DIYing Paintball CO2?

I love DIY stuff. I also love piecing together things and making them work. I build just about everything that I do hobby-wise. It's just that this year, with everything else that's going on I don't really have a whole lot of time to buy 15 parts from 15 different vendors. Is anyone DIYing these and selling them? I would be willing to pay a few bucks more for the contraption to save the time it would take me to order everything. My only real requirement is that it be regulated.

If I can't find someone who's selling these, I'll DIY one myself in a few weeks and I'll stick with my original plan of DIY CO2 for now. Just thought I would throw this one out there to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
For not much more than a paint ball rig will set you back, you can often purchase a standard size setup.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nevermind. I found what I was looking for.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My suggestion would be to stay away from unregulated setups. These would be setups that only have an ASA on/off valve connected to a needle valve. The pressure can build up to dangerous levels and explode if the line is blocked or clogged.

Here is a video of a regulated setup on a 40 breeder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vd88LrtzdA (0:25)

Marineland 26 bow front:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the asa top and a needle vale. I am unsure as to which regulator i need for this. Is there anyone that can give me an idea of a regulator that will fit a paintball setup?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoklor View Post
I have the asa top and a needle vale. I am unsure as to which regulator i need for this. Is there anyone that can give me an idea of a regulator that will fit a paintball setup?
I current have this one:

http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/...-air-regulator

I'm going to be testing Ebay item #170691170358 to see if it works similarly.

Another option is this:

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index...products_id=51

There is nothing particularly cheap. That is part of the lure of the ASA on/off setup.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
I current have this one:

http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/...-air-regulator

I'm going to be testing Ebay item #170691170358 to see if it works similarly.

Another option is this:

http://palmer-pursuit.com/cart/index...products_id=51

There is nothing particularly cheap. That is part of the lure of the ASA on/off setup.
Thanks for the info and links. I now understand the reason why people are using these paintball setups. If I were single still and lived alone I would go for it anyway because I'm just crazy like that. Even with the chances of something bad happening being remote, I don't think I should do it now with a family.

I still like the idea of the paintball can though, because it's nice and small. I'll have to think about it a little more first. I was going to do the DIY 2L bottle thing, but the more I read about it the more I'm convinced that it may not deliver what I'm looking for. I think the DIY system would work - I think the hold up is people not being able to get good diffusion.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I suggest you look at adapting a "standard" regulator to a PB tank (the adapters are typically only about $15). That would allow you to switch to a full sized tank in the future, if you chose to, without buying another regulator.

I have a set up such as the one galabar linked to, and I'm quite pleased with it (I get 40~50 days on a 24 oz. tank, for my 40 gallon aquarium), but if I had the space, and hadn't had to mount it horizontally, I would have gone for a larger, "standard" rig. :shrug:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

I was in the same situation as you...originally going to do the DIY Paintball CO2 tank. After seeing some posts about the potential danger...I decided to get a regulated setup.

You can pickup an Aquatek Regulator + CO2 paintball tank adapter for around $80. This is what I am using now and it has worked great for a cheaper setup.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieE46 View Post
I was in the same situation as you...originally going to do the DIY Paintball CO2 tank. After seeing some posts about the potential danger...I decided to get a regulated setup.

You can pickup an Aquatek Regulator + CO2 paintball tank adapter for around $80. This is what I am using now and it has worked great for a cheaper setup.
I have been using the ASA type DIY regulator, and its fine, but want a solenoid, so I am also looking to get the aquatek and adapter.

So i agree with everyone else, just buy a regulator, it costs just as much as DIY. And chances are you'll upgrade later anyway, lol.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I suggest you look at adapting a "standard" regulator to a PB tank (the adapters are typically only about $15). That would allow you to switch to a full sized tank in the future, if you chose to, without buying another regulator.
I had thought about this, but I'm having a hard time choosing a regulator. I suppose I just don't know enough about what the heck I'm supposed to be looking for. I have seen many regulators but what do I want? How much should I spend? And I still have to have a way to get the pb container to dispense the CO2, so I'll still need an ASA anyway. Ahhh!!! I'm slowly moving back towards the DIY 2L bottle idea.

Quote:
I have a set up such as the one galabar linked to, and I'm quite pleased with it (I get 40~50 days on a 24 oz. tank, for my 40 gallon aquarium), but if I had the space, and hadn't had to mount it horizontally, I would have gone for a larger, "standard" rig. :shrug:
I just don't care for the larger tanks. And for a 20 gallon, I just don't think it's needed. Getting into the 60 gallon + tanks I might think about it. If I can get a bottle to last a couple of months at a time, why do I want this big honkin' cylinder sitting around?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieE46 View Post

Do you have a link for something like this?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moze229 View Post
Do you have a link for something like this?
I'm looking to get this one, but probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regula.../dp/B0041YLM7G
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How about this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ZIOKDYA2KMI2

Looks like it has a bubble counter and solenoid built in. You'd still need the tank and adapter. So after all that, you still end up only saving a few dollars over just going with a full size system.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moze229 View Post
How about this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ZIOKDYA2KMI2

Looks like it has a bubble counter and solenoid built in. You'd still need the tank and adapter. So after all that, you still end up only saving a few dollars over just going with a full size system.
I looked at that one too. I dont see a difference. I think I read that the solenoid onthe MW gets super hot, but I don't know if thats all solenoids. The aquatek is suppose to be a "cooltouch", and its like $60ish on fleabay.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode