Shipping with oxygen: Equipment recommendation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Shipping with oxygen: Equipment recommendation

I searched but couldn't find any good recommendations for preferred equipment to buy for shipping fish and invertebrates or when bagging fish for delivery to local fish club auctions on the night before.

Obviously I need an O2 tank, regulator and a way to get the oxygen into the bag.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether it's best to buy or rent the tank?

How large a tank if usually recommended? I guess that depends on how much you ship but what would be a good starter size?

Where do you keep the tank in your fish room and are there any particular safety recommendations you take when using it?

Any links (or PM's) to specific equipment would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ummmm, I'd suggest doing an "industrial grade" O2 tank from a welding center (99.9% purity oxygen). Medical grade oxygen (tank and refill) is probably going to pretty pricey.

I'd talk to the guy at the welding shop to see what they suggest in terms of buy / rent. Lots of them won't even "sell" anymore, you can only get a 'lifetime lease.'

As for the setup, I'd set the regulator to 20PSI. Then take out what ever low-pressure fitting is on there and thread in a compressed air hose (the self coiling one). To dispense it, I'd just use a standard air 'blow gun' on the end of it.

Tank (2600PSI) --> Oxy regulator (20PSI) --> coiled air hose --> blow gun

Last edited by proaudio55; 12-12-2011 at 12:46 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I thought breather bags eliminated the need for adding O2 to bags for shipping/transport.

As far as safety, make sure the tank is secure and can't tip over and don't use near open flame.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I would just get Kordon breather bags, they sell big ones too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
my LFS uses a balloon filler fitting attached to the o2 regulator to gas bags for shipping

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I do understand the basic premise for using O2 for bagging fish, I was just looking for personal experiences with someone who uses it in their fish room.

I've been to my local air/gas facility and they don't have the fittings to connect the O2 regulator to a balloon style fill gadget and I haven't been able to locate the proper adapter so I haven't purchased it yet.

I'm not interested in using breather bags at all, especially for local fish auctions as the bags are manhandled and I've seen first hand the bags rolling off the table or being squished by potential buyers.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I use o2 from the welding supply. I use a standard airgun to fill. I set the pressure from 5-20 lbs. There is no need for "medical grade" oxygen, the only difference is one is certified, the other isn't but they are the same oxygen.

You can pick up the air guns at an auto supply store (also might be called a "blow off" nozzle/cleaning nozzle). The line can be purchased at home depot.

I don't use breather bags as Kordon has never seen fit to answer my questions about using them with moderately hard water. In a 2mil bag with oxygen, as ammonia/waste is produced, pH is driven down rendering teh ammonia less toxic. In a breather bag, the pH would remain stable, causing a more toxic environment (ammonia is exponentially more toxic as pH increases). I figure I would rather use regular bags and provide teh safest environment possible for critters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Rachel. Can you post which model O2 regulator you are using?

What size O2 tank are you using and do you keep it in the basement in the fish room?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yea, I do keep it in the basement but cannot post pics as its not exactly what is recommended, lol.

I have an industrial HUGE bottle (nearly as tall as me) that is chained to a cart.

I will look at the regulator, but its the same one I use on our torch and welding rigs.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Alot of party supply stores also have this stuff for sale for blowing up balloons. It would, of course, come with very limited O2. This would give you the balloon attachment though, instead of having to have an air gun and hose.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

but those usually are on the end of the bottle, you would have to either turn the bottle on its side or the bag upside down.

I like the hose and the air gun, makes things really easy with bagging and tying off.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The Helium valve setup, is really the best way to go. Your gas supplier can order the stem you need even if they don't stock it.

If you have to DIY it, use a hose and an air gun, mounted so the end of the air gun points down. Extend the lever if needed, so you can bump it with your head or arm.

You can purchase small propane torch size bottles of Oxygen at any place that sells MAPP gas.
Attached Images

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i guess i will have to take a pic of my setup for you guys

I have a hole drilled into my shipping counter where the line comes through. Its so convenient to be able to move the line whereever I want.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I want to avoid buying those dinky O2 canisters from the home improvement store especially since they no longer sell individual regulators for them anymore.

I guess I'll just have to hit up the air/gas place again and see if they can order the adapter to allow me to rig up a hose to an air gun or tilt valve.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode