How much DIY CO2 for 50G? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
How much DIY CO2 for 50G?

I am running 2 litter bottles on my DIY CO2, I am not sure if this is enough? Any suggestion? Is this enough?

Thanks

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Do you have a drop checker? That could be a first approximation. Generally just look for solid plant growth and reduction of algae. I recently set up a DIY system on my 55 and I'm getting really solid output with a combination of a 1L and a 1Gal glass jug. My drop checker registers into the yellow so that must be getting pretty solid saturation.

You also need to take into consideration how you are diffusing as obviously with increased diffusion rates, you can succeed easier.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
Do you have a drop checker? That could be a first approximation. Generally just look for solid plant growth and reduction of algae. I recently set up a DIY system on my 55 and I'm getting really solid output with a combination of a 1L and a 1Gal glass jug. My drop checker registers into the yellow so that must be getting pretty solid saturation.

You also need to take into consideration how you are diffusing as obviously with increased diffusion rates, you can succeed easier.
Yeah, you are correct Higher. I need a drop checker. I am diffusing with reactor, I thought that would be enough for 50g, but I am not sure.

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
about a pressurized 5# cylinders worth

more important ...how much light do you have...that controls everything else

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
about a pressurized 5# cylinders worth

more important ...how much light do you have...that controls everything else
I will be upgrading to pressurized. I am using 2 T5HO, 18 inches heigh, and 4 inches above the water.

**** Green ****

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i would suggest raising the lights even more

slow consistent growth is better than fast growth with inconsistent CO2 (youll have an algae battle on your hands soon) plus your plants will be established for when you get that pressurized kit and decide to hit the gas pedal

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
i would suggest raising the lights even more

slow consistent growth is better than fast growth with inconsistent CO2 (youll have an algae battle on your hands soon) plus your plants will be established for when you get that pressurized kit and decide to hit the gas pedal
Thanks Optix, but are you sure to raise more light? I can get another bulb, but it seems already too much light for me. It blinds me already. Seriously, I am a little concern about algae attack. My plan was shorter photoperiod, less light, until the plants established. The ferts and pressurized will be here in the next few days

**** Green ****

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oops, guess I was confusing

I mean "raise" as in lift it higher -aka- farther away from your tank to get to the low light region where you hardly need additional CO2 because the plants grow slowly

your foreground plants will reach...but thats ok...after you get ferts and CO2 going...just cut the upward growth and the new plant will cling to the substrate and roots will already be established in your tank

Fraternity, Inc. #33

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode