Venturi Reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Venturi Reactor

let me get this right first... a venturi reactor (DIY) would be a gravel vac, a powerhead with the intake coupled to the vac to draw the water up though the bottom of the vac, up though the bioballs/sponge if present, and into the impeller and water stream, out of the outlet back into the side of the reactor?where it will make several journeys around the impellor and all contained in the vac gradually swapping treated water with the surrounding water.

my questions are...

1) how long should it be

2) hows dissolving with this method.. as opposed to flowing water strait down and out the bottom?

3) should i use media to chop the bubbles?

4) is a 450l/ph pump to much for this type of design, or normal for that matter.

5) will bubble rates have a detrimental effect on the impellor over time? or cause it to airlock.

im thinking of changing my original design because its cack.. although it does the job. its still unsightly and long. the powerhead is a Hozelock Display Pump 450i. quite a tiny little device actually.

It doesent have a hose attachable intake, just the appeture and a removeble disk to hold the impellor in, it doesent have a sponge. i had to make up some mesh to stop the fish getting blitzed. it has the useual outlet pipe fitting so connecting to a hose on the outake is easy, and a standard design diyreactor can be made fine with it. maybe a powerhead with a hose on both in and out would be better for this design. it has to be able to exchange the water someway but i think the aggitation around it should do the job there and ensure the water is allways recycled.. without letting undissolved co2 out.

any suggestions guys? ill proberly go ahead and do it anyway but ide rather have some ideas if anyone has made one before.. my options are a peice of 1inch pvc pipe i have about a foot of it, and lots of resin/body filler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:54 AM

The designs I have seen are like this one.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

I have made one with the powerhead upside down, drawing water in the bottom of the tube and it worked very well, but I would get gas buildup which I assume is 02 or other gases and not co2 as co2 dissolves very quickly in water, but other gases do not. There has been some mention on this forum that bioballs aren't neccesary as the co2 dissolves very quickly and I have to agree.

I just made one today that works like the one in the photo. It's about 8" long and the bubbles circulate in there nicely, and the stubborn ones eventually exit out the bottom, so I don't get the buildup.

I would not use bodyfiller or fiberglass resin in the tank. Neither one are truly waterproof, especially body filler as it's made with talc. They could also be very toxic. You might try pvc glue or epoxy.

I have made one with the powerhead upside down, drawing water in the bottom of the tube, with a sponge at the top and it worked very well, but I would get gas buildup which I assume is 02 or other gases and not co2 as co2 dissolves very quickly in water, but other gases do not. There has been some mention on this forum that bioballs aren't neccesary as the co2 dissolves very quickly and I have to agree.

I just made one today that works like the one in the photo. It's about 8" long and the bubbles circulate in there nicely, and the stubborn ones eventually exit out the bottom, so I don't get the buildup.

I would not use bodyfiller or fiberglass resin in the tank. Neither one are truly waterproof, especially body filler as it's made with talc. They could also be very toxic. You might try pvc glue or epoxy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Tom has some detailed venturi design's on his site..in the Gallery

http://www.barrreport.com/forums/ind...referrerid=141

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

thankyou both
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:33 PM

Just so you know, over here in the states you can buy a reactor similar to this, pre-made, and it uses a Rio 50 pump, which is about 50gph, so maybe around 15liters per hour.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

i made my venturi.. its crap it sort of does the job but is either to shot or the flow is to high as some escape out the bottom. but they are chopped and have been around the powerhead a few times. the main problem is were the intake has its flange to hold the impellor in the unit, air escapes.. rather than around the slack cut hole in the top of my gravel vac which is actually pretty well sealed.. and hasent shown any leaks..

so to solve the bubbles comming out the flange, i used a soldering iron to melt it together. making it extreamly difficult to clean the impellor but regardless i did it. AND IT STILL SQUIRTS LITTLE BUBBLES OUT!.

i really need to make an external reactor. but finding the parts is doing my nut as i cant use creditcards or crap for online ordering untill im finacialy sorted (which at the mo im far from sorted).

im gonna try two gravel vacs tomorow or when i get to the pet store. ill use one of the endcaps off one vac and put it on the other. that will be viewable and hopefully the rubber caps will be waterproof.

venturies also make loads of noise.. atleast mine did, and im sure they make a meal of powerhead impellors.

ive been stuck for a reactor since i built my co2 kit and have never had an effiecient loss free way. and now im skint and need one bad (starting CSM and goodies) im at a dead end so ill try the gravel vac idea. because of this ive never invested in a KH test kit either. its stupid all the times ive been at the LFS etc and havent picked something up. anyways thats my experience guys stick with your hofthizers i say.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:09 AM

I wouldn't worry about some bubbles escaping. If they are stubborn and don't want to dissolve, they are not co2 anyway. My reactor gets a build up of gas at the end of the photoperiod, I'm sure it is oxygen coming out of the water. It's gone in the morning.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode