My massive DIY reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My massive DIY reactor

I figured since it's DIY why not make it BIG.

Actually I think I made it too big, but it could easily be shortened. I couldn't find any clear PVC locally, but I ended up finding some acrylic tube that I could fit PVC couplings into. Total cost was around $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
. Yeah, I'm sure you could make about 2 more out of that acrylic....but, you might also want to put a javafern and a few snails in it for a nice nano.

Do the bubbles only dance in the top 1/3, or do they get pushed all over? Maybe put some LED backlights by it, and set them to come on when the tank lights go off.. . Also, you could put a treasure chest or a diver in there, and hook up your CO2 to power it.

Lots of options.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Yeah, I'm all for the nano tank suggestion. You could get some shrimp and white clouds in that tank, along with the java fern. By the looks of that nuclear CO2 reactor, I would also suggest running to about 10 other tanks. That way, you get the most bang for your buck.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I like it. Why not make it big, at least you don't have a problem with CO2 going through undissolved!

If you skip the transparent part and keep it all PVC (white) the cost goes down quite a bit. I think I spent less than $10 for the ones I made.

Of course, then the Nano idea won't work...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Why not put some bioballs in there? It will help the efficiency of your reactor.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Maybe add a Galileo thermometer in there?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question663.htm

Darn, probably would only work if it was sealed...

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Lol. Nano tank, there's a thought. I really like the LED suggestion.

I've been running it for about 3 days now. The bubbles rise up to the top and dissapear ( I can't see the upper 1" because of the end cap). I assume the high velocity area where the water comes in dissolves them on contact. However, if I trap any atmospheric air in the reactor, it dances around in the upper 1/4th of the reactor and dissolves VERY slowly. Also, at the end of the photoperiod gas (02 I assume) builds up in the top of the chamber and does not dissolve. It actually forms a gas pocket at the top so that the incoming water is pouring into the chamber. I think this may compromise co2 dispersal. If the reactor was shorter, I think those stubborn bubbles may eventually exit out of the bottom and prevent this problem, so I will probably chop the tube down to the size of a normal reactor. I wonder if bio balls will prevent the gas from collecting at the top of the chamber? I think they may increase velocity so that the stubborn gas goes out the bottom?

I'm embarrased to say that I'm running some DIY co2 into this thing and it seems to require more pressure to create bubbles than the in tank reactors I have built, or maybe my mixture is getting weak. I just mixed up 2 bottles of fresh stuff, I'm waiting to see what happens. It's all a fun science project for me.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:40 AM

thats a wicked effort, but with all that length you should upgrade to a diy presurised unit hehe.. then youde really have a good setup.

how long did it take you to make that, sure is the biggest reactor ive seen...
ide just love to get that on my tank, it would sure be better than my intank job.

good work
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. It only took about 10 minutes to cut everything and glue it together. The hardest part is finding all the pieces to fit together.

I'm definitely going pressurized, but unfortunately I have to pay off some bills first. I'm going to hold off on using this reactor until I go pressurized and I can find a better way of fitting the airline into it. I'm kind of paranoid about the airline popping off and soaking my floor so I made a little in tank reactor out of the leftover acrylic today.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:23 AM

Where do you have it set up to, the outflow of your canister or separate pump?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonochromis
I'm going to hold off on using this reactor until I go pressurized
Agree there, the inlines do almost require a tank without yeast...
Quote:
I can find a better way of fitting the airline into it. I'm kind of paranoid about the airline popping off and soaking my floor so I made a little in tank reactor out of the leftover acrylic today.
I used the plans at: http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aq...co2reactor.htm
which utilize a nifty PVC fitting and threaded barb fitting to get the line in.

Please see here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...60&postcount=3

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wonder if you would need a dedicated water pump since that massive reactor would slow down your filter flow

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It really doesn't. Unless the diameter is smaller than "regular" reactors, the added few inches of length won't make a difference. Just looks big

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
I used the plans at: http://www.hoftiezer.net/personal/aq...co2reactor.htm
which utilize a nifty PVC fitting and threaded barb fitting to get the line in.
That fitting looks very similar to what I have, but the standard airline is a little too small, so I had to stretch it to fit and it really doesn't push far down on the barb. Does a pressurized system use standard airline or is it a little bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpow
I wonder if you would need a dedicated water pump since that massive reactor would slow down your filter flow
I put this reactor on the intake side so it won't affect head pressure.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That fitting looks very similar to what I have, but the standard airline is a little too small, so I had to stretch it to fit and it really doesn't push far down on the barb. Does a pressurized system use standard airline or is it a little bigger?
I am not using standard airline mainly because I got some of this for a few bucks with another order I had placed. It is 1/8 hose
http://www.freelin-wade.com/FWRGSI%2...%20&%2090A.pdf

With all I read about various problems with silicon and normal airline (vinyl?), I thought for $4 I could get a better piece of tubing.
I can get the hose over at least three of the barbs without much difficulty.

The specific fitting I used is this, a 1/8 barb x 1/2 thread:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=6719
Spec Sheet:
http://www.usplastic.com/pdfdatafile...ing11-2003.pdf

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode