Commissioning someone to make me a LED light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Commissioning someone to make me a LED light?

Hey everyone... some might know I'm getting myself a new ADA tank for Christmas - a 60-P which is 24 x 12 x 14. Finding suitable lighting has been a struggle - I LOVE the shimmer effect of MH/LED lighting but MH is too expensive/big of a fire hazard in my rental apartment, and I have NO idea whatsoever how to build a LED setup.

Is it possible that I could commission someone to make me a LED kit for my tank? Nothing super fancy, just some mixed whites on a hangable fixture with a dimmer. Looking for medium-low light, but I want to hang this fixture up pretty high (at least 12 inches above the tank) so optics might be necessary.. I don't know!

I'd be willing to pay for the parts, labor, and shipping... can anyone help, or at least point me in the right direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

half the fun is building it yourself... >.<

having someone make it for you, is like going out to a store and buying it.

i would recomend u asking questions and reading..

looking from the specs you want, its not hard...

24 inch long tank should do fine on 3 x 10W with a dimmable driver. Full blast if your injecting CO2, and dim'd if your not or your asking for algae.

Driver ~ meanwell 48P ~ 34 dollars can handle 4 x 10W or 16x3W
PWM Controller for dimming ~ 65 dollars, does awesome dawn/dusk mode 12 hour cycle.

Alu sink for a small tank like that.. wont cost u more then 20 dollars

And then to drill and solder which is the fun in DIY!~
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would make my own, but... the combination of being in Canada (more expensive/less availability part-wise), having no power tools whatsoever, and having no knowledge of driving LEDs makes me feel safer just buying one already made and being done with it.

Will having 3x 10w's or so make a spotlighting effect or will they spread evenly?

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Will having 3x 10w's or so make a spotlighting effect or will they spread evenly?
depends on what optics u use.. like lens and refractor.

Also depends on how high the led's are above the tank.

Lastly depends on type of 10W as one does 160 degree the other does 120 degree.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
They sell LED light fixtures now. It might be cheaper than commissioning one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Check this thread out. I think this might work, it say's for up to 13g aquariums but it might work on a 60P.

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...ile-400-a.html

What would Honey Badger do?
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Check this thread out. I think this might work, it say's for up to 13g aquariums but it might work on a 60P.

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...ile-400-a.html
This powerful LED will retail for $149.99 USD.

Well that's not bad I guess. I just would want towait until someone can confirm it's enough light for a 60-P. IE. getting some PAR readings out of it.

Please point me to some other manufactured LED kits because other than the Marineland ones and the Beams I can't find much of anything else.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Find, join, and support your local or not so local fish or planted tank club(s).
Someone there will help you out.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't have any. The main organizer of the last fish club here passed away a few years ago and no one continued it.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

edit:

I looked up the specs for OSRAM's they use:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....eyword=luwcp7p

Sorry to say those led's seem quite dismal... its a 350mA LED, which places it at 1W, and having 4 is not the same as having 4 cree 3W's.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Dog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ecoxotic

Call and tell them what you are wanting to do they may have something.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, +1 on that, if they're putting out more than 4w in that fixture, they are overdriving the crap out of those little osram emitters. This must be the case given how bright these seem to be in the pictures on that other site.

I've said it before in another thread, at least when you make your own, you know what you have, assuming you purchased from a reputable vendor. The prefab fixtures are likely based on older emitters (lead times, mfg times etc) and lower efficiency bins (reduced cost).
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
I've said it before in another thread, at least when you make your own, you know what you have, assuming you purchased from a reputable vendor. The prefab fixtures are likely based on older emitters (lead times, mfg times etc) and lower efficiency bins (reduced cost).
op has told us.

1. he has no real tools... which means it will cost more then him going out and buying one because of the tools...
(multimeter + soldering iron + drill or whatnots / dremel)

2. Whats even more scary, is OP has no skills in electrical, meaning half the guides which are written wont make sense to him, because he has no experience with electrical.

3. There are many retrofit kits, i could recommend a lot, but once again,, without tools, those retrofit kits are just Parts which the op has no clue on how to setup.

OP i would make one for you, but i hate shipping out of country... even to canada...
If your really lost, possibly the next time my uncle comes to visit me this xmas, i may be able to fab something and ask him to take it to canada and mail it out for me.

But... even if someone was to commission it, it would still probably cost anywhere from 100-150 dollars in raw parts.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll take a look at Ecoxotic's stuff, but I'm really clueless when it comes to LED requirements for plants... it's not as easy as just looking at a fluorescent PAR chart and saying "well at this many inches that should give me about this much light" and being done with it.

I'm pretty good at doing DIY stuff and if someone explained it to me really well I could probably DIY one, but like I said, the biggest problem is having no access to tools. If I was still living with my parents it wouldn't be an issue but I've since moved out and don't even have a power drill yet :P
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

It's really too bad this came up like a week late, as I just placed an order with cutter not so long ago... It would have been a simple matter to order an extra meanwell driver and some emitters for you. The $33 shipping to canada really makes ordering from them hurt!

I'm assuming what you want isn't a complete hood ready to go, but the guts mounted on a heatsink/plate and you can sort out hanging it or whatever?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode