Auto Fertilizer build - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 136
Auto Fertilizer build

So my biggest flaw in keeping a planted tank is adding fertz all the time..

I don't do it..

Just found some pumps at work.. and I have an arduino... Teensy..

lets have at it!


The Pump.. I got 4 of these bad boys..





Outsane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,877
This should be interesting. Make one that does water changes and I'll buy it.
Daximus is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Optix's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: derrty south
Posts: 739
I used to be all about designing an autodoser in the past
then someone made a post that really resonated with me
"ferts are really no more difficult than feeding your fish"

shake a few flakes of the fish food...a scoop of this today...a scoop of that tomorrow


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central VA
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
I used to be all about designing an autodoser in the past
then someone made a post that really resonated with me
"ferts are really no more difficult than feeding your fish"

shake a few flakes of the fish food...a scoop of this today...a scoop of that tomorrow

Yes but the problem with this is if you're too busy to feed your fish (or on vacation), you're generally not in any sort of worrisome situation.

People who are running high light tanks might be closer to "nutrient-limiting" plant growth than would comfortably allow them to take a few days off of fertilizing... That's the benefit I see in auto dosing...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Doc7 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
jmrmotorhead's Avatar
 
PTrader: (49/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 664
That should work excellent, I'll be watching your build!
Matt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank
jmrmotorhead is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Children Boogie
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsane View Post
Just "found" some pumps at work..
uh huh...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mistergreen is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
uh huh...
lol
NWA-Planted is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower
 
doc bonsai's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ames
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
Yes but the problem with this is if you're too busy to feed your fish (or on vacation), you're generally not in any sort of worrisome situation.

People who are running high light tanks might be closer to "nutrient-limiting" plant growth than would comfortably allow them to take a few days off of fertilizing... That's the benefit I see in auto dosing...
This confuses me. What happens if you just turn off the lights for a week or so? Or, what happens if you leave the lights on but don't fertilize? In either case isn't it just likely to stop growth, but not kill the plants? I honestly don't know and I'm just getting ready to setup a tank with high light, so I'd be happy to hear what people have had happen.
doc bonsai is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central VA
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc bonsai View Post
This confuses me. What happens if you just turn off the lights for a week or so? Or, what happens if you leave the lights on but don't fertilize? In either case isn't it just likely to stop growth, but not kill the plants? I honestly don't know and I'm just getting ready to setup a tank with high light, so I'd be happy to hear what people have had happen.

I notice your low post count (though mine isn't much better :p ) so I'm basing this response off of that. I think you should look into "light limited plant growth" on this forum and elsewhere... that is one of the current schools of thought relating to tank with healthy plants and minimal algae. The situation you describe with lights on and lack of enough nutrients for plant growth sounds like an invitation to algae disaster.

I don't have repeatable experiments but I had a timer fail, leave lights on for an extended weekend, and came back to lots of green string algae in my tank.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Doc7 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower
 
doc bonsai's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ames
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
I notice your low post count (though mine isn't much better :p ) so I'm basing this response off of that. I think you should look into "light limited plant growth" on this forum and elsewhere... that is one of the current schools of thought relating to tank with healthy plants and minimal algae. The situation you describe with lights on and lack of enough nutrients for plant growth sounds like an invitation to algae disaster.

I don't have repeatable experiments but I had a timer fail, leave lights on for an extended weekend, and came back to lots of green string algae in my tank.
Thanks for the tip. I get the impression that algae is more associated with light/CO2 balance than it is to dosing ferts, but I suppose any shortage could limit growth and make the light excessive. Did the search you suggested and as with most searches of the forum, I don't get exactly what I'm looking for. I can anticipate the concept pretty easily though. Do you know if Excel is sufficient for high lighting?

Also, in my post above I also suggested turning off the lights for the week. You didn't mention why that wouldn't work. Would it?
doc bonsai is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central VA
Posts: 656
dunno - people do it for "Black outs" to fight algae though and i don't think all their plants die as a result...


there's a neat bar chart out there that shows light as the limiting factor in growth rate as opposed to not.

Tom Barr ("plantbrain" on this forum) has written numerous times that within reason "excessive nutrients" isn't an algae-causing situation whereas excessive light can be...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Doc7 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome