Siphon Water Changer - "Hands Free" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Siphon Water Changer - "Hands Free"

This isn't my own original idea but hopefully someone besides myself benefits. I actually think I saw Tom Barr post a picture with a similar version of this.

I didn't only build this to make the occasional "I might be too busy for this today" water change easier to stomach by being more hands-free, but also because when I tried to do this with my regular hose-style python, I found that leaving the siphon in the water floating caused a significant decrease in flow due to the kink over the side of the tank. This "large" piping allows much more flow without having to hold a hose straight.

Doing 50% water changes in my planted tank, I don't always gravel vacuum, or if I do, it's usually not 20 gallons worth of time.

I built the contraption pictured here out of 1/2" PVC (with a 3/4" inlet) and 5/8" ID braided tubing which hopefully will not kink like my first attempt at a DIY Python with unbraided tubing.

I figure I'll vacuum with a standard siphon setup into a couple of my standard 2 gallon buckets and then start a siphon with this PVC equipment to my bathtub) to do the rest of the 50% WC.

It is built so that it will break siphon at the height of my filter inlet, so that I can trim plants - or watch TV - until it gurgles and then use the swivel hose attachment at the other end to hook up to my faucet waterbed pump and re-fill the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice! I may have to copy.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Why did you make the out of tank part so long? I just make it a few inches long so it hooks on the tank and then goes to the hose. That long part just makes it harder to operate/store/etc....

Also, for gravel vacuuming just stick a piece of hose into the pvc inlet and it will gravel vac just fine.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its long so that it rests on the floor (or did, until I shortened it by trying a modification, so now I use a book on the floor to prop it up)

I wanted as much straight pipe drop as possible to get a good initial suction going. I don't know if that makes a lot of sense but I also wanted to avoid any hose kinking, so by going right to the floor and then a 90, the hose doesn't need to bend at all until it gets to my bathtub.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I do not think that having as straight a drop as possible changes anything for our purpose. I've never ever had a problem.

What i do see is more of a chance to torque it or break it or bang it around.

also, hose kinking isn't ever an issue for me either. I use ordinary garden hose.

I think we're over-complicating this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for posting,

seems like a good way to drain the same amount of water every time, without having to watch. You can go do something else and come back and the tank wont be empty!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
my only concern is with courious fish. I've had a few get sucked up my gravel cleaner when i would just leave it in the tank to drain. I could just see this sucking up a fish and spitting it down the drain.

I understand that its darwinism at its best but still i like to keep my fish in the tank at all costs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Planted Member

nice !! think i will make me one , tub not far from where tank is so be perfect for me . as for sucking fish up i bet u could fasten some sort of mesh on intake to prevent that . thanks for posting ^^
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would put some sort of net around the intake. And this would't work for me since I dechlorinate before putting water in the tank.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
surprised this suprises this many people lol.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazednSleepy View Post
I would put some sort of net around the intake. And this would't work for me since I dechlorinate before putting water in the tank.

I have a filter mesh on the end except for WCs following baby tears trims.

I squirt 4 mL of Prime dechlor into tank when I start refilling, not a concern for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Time to copy this, I have a old pvc overflow pipe. Going to add hose to the end.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

I have a similar setup that I am working on, I have a shutoff ball valve sorta deal near the floor, the tubing runs into the furnace intake vent beside my tank, then runs into a laundry tub below the tank downstairs, it drops to the bottom of the tank and into the substrate that is wide open to collect the waste. It's not a sit and watch tv like setup but I am hoping it does the trick. Mine will be more of a permanent system that I can just turn the valve and hopefully there will be enough water left in the PVC to start the flow without priming etc. I am trying to figure out a quick release mechanism so that I can disconnect the PVC half way into the tank and attach another hose and vacuum out all the substrate. I won't be able to refill the tank again with this setup thou. The picture here has inspired me to change a few things thank you!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I copied Tom's idea and just did the bend over the tank. Like Justin said, no need for the long pipe out side of the tank. I have a 55g drum of aged with prime water outside. After the water drains, I have a pump in the drum that I hook up for the refill.

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode