Here we go! DIY t5 lighting... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here we go! DIY t5 lighting...

Well after the light i received with my 65 gallon fish tank failed due to excessive amounts of rust and wear and tear need new lights.

Anywho this set up will need to be attached on the underneath of my hood which weird enough only has 3" of space between hood and water

So basically will be mounting on the underneath of the lid.
just need to know what i need to buy! So help is appreciated!

I was thinking this ballast: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/...-ballasts.html
and doing a 3 bulb set up

needs to be 36" bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm building a fixture also using the same workhorse 5 but using four 24" t5ho's. I think you can find a better price for the ballast. I thought I saw them for close to $20 on [Ebay Link Removed]

PS. All I said was e b a y and there was no link at all. This board is over the top with it's monitoring of posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol good to know someone else is using this ballast. Im just confused as to what else i need. Such as what reflectors, what do i even plug the bulbs into....what kind of wires am i dealing with...ive never really done much or anything DIY so im not quite sure .....
And yeah i know what you mean with the links. I wonder why there so uptight with posting about places or people you can acquire products from...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The ballast is good, consider getting the WH7 if there is a possibility that you might upgrade to a larger tank one day (and scrap this one). They are only a couple of bux different. They are already wired, so most of the time you don't need any extra cables. Shop around, often the typical aquarium outlets are more expensive than regular lighting suppliers. Coupons are often available to offset shipping charges, etc.

Then you need something called endcaps. There are really expensive watertight ones (~$10 a pair), and fairly cheap "regular" ones ($1 a pair). Reefgeek used to be a good source a couple of years ago. S&H is extra.

And reflectors. Some of them clip to the bulbs directly, others can be screwed to the canopy. Good brands are Icecap, Suntek, Aquaillumination, Vue? perhaps a few others. The will run you around $20 shipped a piece. If you are cash stripped, a can of Ultra White Glossy paint is pretty good too.

And relax about the "censoring". It's just a stupid computer that removes everything related to the large auction site. No reason to get all paranoid about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the info! So basically just the ballast, the lights, end caps (i assume the water tight ones will help prevent water damage hence their name?, and reflectors? Do you think i can mount these on some stainless steel that slides into to where the old ballast was underneath the lid, thus making it hang right above the water?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
maybe consider AHS linear T5 kits, has everything you need... ballast, reflector, end caps, mounting HW... nice thing is if want a 3 lamp set up you can put 2 on one switch and 1 as a single to help control intensity.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Algae Grower

I am also constructing a tank that is a 40 gal breeder, its 36 inches so im looking for 2-3 ballasts that can run 2 bulbs each at the 36 inch t5 size. I have found a bunch of cheap ones, and some expensive ones, do you think price matters as its all realatively the same, and im sure the quality of the ballasts and bulbs dont differ too significantly. i can get 100 bulbs and the two or three ballasts under 300 bucks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
+1 for AH Supply. Quality kits that are very easy to work with.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode