ADA style stand (updated pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
ADA style stand (updated pics)

So my friend and I decided to try our hands at building stands for two 60-P aquariums I had laying around. We planned on MDF but the stock was shoddy; crumbled edges, deep gouges, etc, and didn't look like fun to work with. Went with birch instead as it was still pretty reasonably priced for an experiment like this. We definitely aren't builders, just went at it with a circular saw and drill. The black garden mat hasn't been trimmed yet, so the overhanging edges are hiding the nice fit, matches up to the tanks perfect.

Painted the cabinet frame:

With front faces added:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by prototyp3; 12-01-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
Looks good to me! I'm no woodworker though but that looks better than my stand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Paint it silver.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I 've used Howard's Feed & Wax alone on wood rifle stocks and was very happy. I got a the wood a shade darker but not as much as a stain wood. You get a nice satin shine. You simple get some 0000 steel wool, run it in the direction of the grain only. To clean the surface. I advise rubber gloves to prevent skin oil at this point. Then you just wipe it on with a soft cloth. Let it soak in for an hour, the buff it up with a clean dry cloth.

You can repeat this a few times over the following days so it drinks in more oil & wax. Depending on how dry the home is you'll use it to polish the stand once a month to 4xs a year.

Water will bead up on the surface. Old school green method. Try some on a scrape of your birch stock first to see if you like it. I buy mine at Home Depot in the paint aisle

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
You guys did a great job! How much to get the third one shipped to New Orleans? Lol.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks awesome! I would leave it as is, the birch looks really good. Gives it more of a naturalistic modern look. I'm going to be building one soon, was thinking of cheap wood covered in formica, now I'm thinking birch!

Good job!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

reybie: Thanks. Seems like DIY usually results in better looking or more sturdy stands than offered at the fish store. Even by us amateurs.

Geniusdudekiran: Considering it, as I have a big ADA stand in the classic gun metal grey. Still think I'm leaning towards leaving some wood visible though.

DogFish: Thanks for the info and link. I might give it a try, especially if it doesn't darken the wood much and keeps it highly water resistant. I know I'd probably slack on the re-application part... Guess I'll have to read up on my options.

mcqueenesq: We actually discussed the possibility of making and selling some stands. It was fun and quick enough to assemble. We planned, cut and put together the two stands in a day. And that included trips to the store, figuring things out, beer breaks, etc. Greyhound shipping makes shipping an assembled stand this side pretty affordable too..

scags: Thanks. I was considering the formica skin as well. But after reading more and talking to people who've installed it, I decided against it. The material is a bit pricey to make mistakes on. I can't imagine trying to trim edges flush while avoiding chipping from cutting and drilling is a pain for the unexperienced. I also question how well the seams are at resisting moisture long term. My ADA bought stand is showing separation gaps at the corners where water has dripped down. I think I'd be more confident with wood sealed or hit with a couple coats of polyurethane. No seams in that.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Do it! You only have to beat the $735 ADA price tag.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
We use birch plywood for 80% of our cabinets at work (other 20% is maple plywood). The stuff is great for the price, pretty much a knock off maple. You have some old growth grain in there too (the darker grain), looks really nice.

and 30$ average a sheet for birch, sure beats 80-100$ average for maple!

And DogFish is right with the rub wax. Birch does not take stain very well and could ultimately look terrible. A first coat to "grain fill" the wood, and then a second coat should get some good results. We also suggest using something like Bri Wax to all of our customers for maintaining the solid wood, I love the stuff.

|
|

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Paint is for ugly wood, it would be criminal to paint such pretty wood. At the same time, sealing it is a really Good Idea.

I have done some woodwork (not a lot, just some), in addition to the other suggestions I would add polyurethane (I've seen some gorgeous results from it with birch). Shoe polish gives a quick, waterproof finish. If you want involved-but-stunning results, look up linseed oil finishing. It takes some doing, but the results are astounding on nice wood like that.

Since you have scraps, you could experiment with them until you find a finish you like.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
DogFish: Thanks for the info and link. I might give it a try, especially if it doesn't darken the wood much and keeps it highly water resistant. I know I'd probably slack on the re-application part... Guess I'll have to read up on my options.
It's maybe the most stupid easy finish you. Even easier than Tung oil. The re-app is pretty simple just like waxing you car, if it looks dull put a little on a clean rag(old T-Shirt) and polish it up.

Some poly's can yellow with age & UV light. An Oil finish becomes part of the wood.

I agree paint is for cheap wood, it's shame to hide true natural beauty of nice piece of wood.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

mcqueenesq: That would be plenty easy to do! I'm running the numbers to see what a reasonable cost would be.

iKine: The grain pattern is what sold me. I looked at everything there, and the birch was the most visually appealing to my taste.
I was reading about how birch likes to stain unevenly if not first conditioned to protect against that. I think I will try the wax route.

NatCh: I'm definitely going to look into the poly sealer. I really do like the current color, it'd be great to put a little shine and protection on top without changing the color tone.
I'll look up the linseed oil thing. Stunning sounds great, the involved part... not so much.

DogFish: If it's really that simple I think I'll pick it up and give it a shot. You're saying that it doesn't darken or shift the color much? Being inexperienced I was just lumping the oil rub in with staining as requiring a fair amount of experience and involved application to get a nice even result.

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've used on walnut rifle stocks and on both red & white oak. It will darken a little but you are looking at DRY wood that is much light than if you just cut a tree open. You see what wood should look like hydrated.

Do test a scrap 1st so you get to see the effect. It's actually easier than waxing a car. When it dries out and loses the sheen, just give it a light coat. really just a few min. work.

BTW - There are plenty of brands of this stuff. The one I use is at Home Depot and that brand works well for me. I friend is a gunsmith he told me about it.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

And, yes...You guys have a good nitch market opportunity. That's a nice clean look stand. I would suggest you only offer them in raw wood. The headaches will come when you start finishing the wood for people as the colors will never be "right" for some customers.

I build my own stuff and I would buy one of your stands from what little I can see in the pics, they look very nice.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Looks legit. It's nice even without painting it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode