anyone make there own glass/acrylic inlet outlet pipes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
anyone make there own glass/acrylic inlet outlet pipes?

I have some small 2.5-5 gallon rimless tanks and would like to know if any one has made there own inlet outlet pipes. I want to find clear plastic or glass and bend and drill my own. I found some long test tubes that have one closed end and have been thinking about trying to bend them and cut slots with a diamond cutting wheel for the inlet , for the outlet I was going to heat a glass tube and push the end over a steel ball bearing to get the flare.

I would think it would work but would like some input before I try it.

Thank you
Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 05:30 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Get some acrylic extruded rods, and use a heat gun to bend them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
It sounds simple enough, I would think people would be doing it

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
Acrylic

If you Google "DIY acrylic lily pipes" there's a ton of tutorials, a bunch of them on this site even. A number of Youtube video tutorials too. Plenty to get yourself comfortable and started.

I've ordered some extruded pipes from U.S. Plastic Corp and got a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. For about $35 I have enough supplies to make myself 10 sets, so even if I mess up the first 5, I'm still coming out ahead and having a bit of fun.

I did a little glass blowing in college for my chemistry program. It requires skill, but isn't rocket science. I'd say go for it if you have time and want to give it a try.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 to acrylic because its much easier to mold then glass...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I've done some in acrylic. I've posted some photos in my ada mini m journal in my signature below. really fun project.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here's a horrible idea for an outlet pipe

Yep, I made my own and it wasn't pretty. I TIG welded this out of 316 stainless steel. The idea was to make a "drop box" that I could easily pour dry ferts / concentrated chemicals into. To get the best mixing action, I designed it to put a strong vortex onto the water before it went down to the cascade 700. Uggggg, HORRIBLE IDEA!! The execution was flawless and it doesn't leak a drop, but the design was a complete "FAIL."

The vortex is so strong that it sucks air into the downcomer and thus the pump is constantly chopping air. ++sigh++

I fixed it by cutting a 'red plastic party cup' in half and sticking that into chamber. That prevents a swirling action and just lets the water drop in.

If anyone else tries something like this, make sure you have at lest 4 or 5 inches between the side inlet and the bottom outlet. Also, don't offset the inlet; put it 'straight on' so the water chaotically gushes in.

dimensions:
Inlet 3/4" ASME pipe
Outlet 3/4" NPT female
Diameter of column, 2 3/8"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overflow1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	37319  

Name:	overflow2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	37320  

Name:	overflow3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	37321  

Name:	overflow4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	37322  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode