Marina holding and breeding box, converted into a filter? Thoughts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Marina holding and breeding box, converted into a filter? Thoughts.

Hello everyone. I was at the lfs and found these Marina breeding traps that hang on the back of the tank and when hooked up to an air pump, they have a flow of water through them(think old fashioned air driven hobs.) Since i have several tanks (the largest being twenty gallons) all in the same area i've been trying to get them all on air driven filters hooked up to a single air pump, instead of several individual hobs. i figure since i only fill my current filters with bio media, several of these might work, being easily customized and still being large enough to act as a refuge for new comers or fry. Maybe a place for new place for bulbs to sprout or invasive plants like duck weed to grow with fear of them taking over the display. I have an air pump rated at 100gallons to run three of these and three small sponges. My question is, has anyone already thought of this, and if so how do you use them? does anyone do something simillair? complications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That sounds like an interesting concept. I like it. I haven't see anyone utilize this concept, though I may have missed it. The one problem I could see would be how much water actually circulates through the trap? Would it be too low to make it worth while? Just a thought. Keep us updated!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
in a freshwater planted tank... i dont see why would need a refugium..

Thats basically what your making... a refugium which reef tank people use to keep algae outside the main tank.

In a reef setup, your working with competition, so you grow the macro algae inside the refuge, and that takes all the resources so algae wont grow in your main tank.

In a planted freshwater, i dont see that as being beneficial. Also to keep invasive species out... well correct me if im wrong... but most of the spores / seeds travel inside the water, so a refuge wont help, infact it may make things worse if u got algae growing inside and you cant clear it from the main tank, because the refuge is seeding the algae.

Also in salt water, the refugium acts as a safe place for co pods to grow.
Your trying to do the same thing here, your trying to make a safe place for fry to grow.

But once again in a planted aquarium, the plants should be a safe spot for them to grow, unless u filled your tank with predators.

Or did i learn planted tanks wrong? :P

I know reef... im just starting to learn plants.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
the flow is an issue, might work for a five gallon or smaller but not much else as far being air powered, though as a vegetative filter box the flow rate might be good as well. the biggest fault was the noise, it made a sucking sound i couldn't fix! I'm going to hook it up to a small power head for the fun of it and see how that works. Yes it is a refugium, which as i understand it in a reef concept is used to safely breed edibles for the main tank, be a safe haven for new/weak/young/and otherwise sensitive inhabitants, as well as hide equipment and provide space for more complex filtration methods. All of which are important for freshwater tanks, plants or otherwise. a plant that might be delicate or invasive in the main tank but is a heavy feeder could be more easily contained in the refuge. or floating plants the would quickly blanket the water's surface. Algae could be grown in the refuge for the feeding of fish, or allowed to run rampant with in the space, thereby filtering while the main tank can be made algae free, though i fully realize that in a healthy planted tank the plants eventually out compete the algae no matter where it is. New born fry can surely hide in a planted tank, but can they compete with an adult sailfin mollie for food? there are also freshwater copes that could be raised or easily bred shrimp in the refuge. technically, almost all fish are predators to a degree, so yes our tanks are filled with predators. i just thought it would be nice to have a freshwater filter that could be run off of an air compressor and be adaptive.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
if it means your going to have fun, id say go for it!

there is no better reason then to have fun... unless u slaughtered a lot of live stock for the heck of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode