Adding Lights to an existing Canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding Lights to an existing Canopy

Here's the problem: I bought a Hagen Water 32G back in october and i cannot seem to be able to keep plants healthy in it because of the lack of light. It has 2X T8 @ 20W which doesn't give me nearly enough light. I did quite a bit of research and it seems that most "starter kits" have the same problem in that the lighting is deficient. Go figure why.

So I like the canopy that came with the tank well enough because it serves its purpose. However it is deficient in the lighting area. Has anyone ever taken on a project to ADD lights to an existing canopy? I'd like to test the waters and see if it is something that can be done or if I'm better off just replacing it altogether?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hagen has a 2xT5HO retrofit kit (Foster & Smith sell it, to name just one), I used it to upgrage my Eclipse 3 lighting and been well pleased with it for about a year now.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=19811

I had to drill vent holes, and that hood required that I add a mounting backplane, but Hobby Lobby fixed me up with some .25" picture acrylic that works a treat.

It may or may not work for your situation, but it's prowly worth a look.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Google up AH supply. They sell retro fits, in pretty much most sizes. Lots of wattage options available too.

Also, you might want to look into other things as being the problem. 1.25WPG (*ducks as the PAR guys throw stones*) isn't all that bad. There are plenty of people on this forum who have really good success with extremely low light. Perhaps you have a nutrient problem, or some such. What kind of water are you using? RO? Any ferts going on in there?

/I know this is a tangent to your original question, but I'm just trying to save you some cash.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluidmachine View Post
Also, you might want to look into other things as being the problem. 1.25WPG (*ducks as the PAR guys throw stones*) isn't all that bad. There are plenty of people on this forum who have really good success with extremely low light. Perhaps you have a nutrient problem, or some such. What kind of water are you using? RO? Any ferts going on in there?

/I know this is a tangent to your original question, but I'm just trying to save you some cash.
40w over 32g doesn't seem all that bad to me for some reason. I run 38w t5 over a 36g bowfront and 29g and the 36g seems to have much better quality of light than the 29g.

If anything, lights aren't the issue as much as the co2 and/or nutrients.

...on the original topic....

I have taken both hoods on the 29g and 36g and installed 2xt5 ballasts. I purchased the ballasts at Home Depot and a grounded power supply and replaced the stock light; I think it was 20w t8 originally.

..but..

What gave me the best results was adding co2 and dry ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode