DIY Co2 diffusion discussion... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 diffusion discussion...

I been playing around with my DIY Co2 trying to find better ways of diffusing it throughout the system. I am aware that actual diffusers are available and pretty cheap...but I'm playing around with what I have.

My first setup was just a standard small air stone at the bottom of the tank in the general flow of water. And it seemed to work well enough.

My second setup was the same air stone strategically placed below the inlet on my HOB filter. The bubbles that floated, floated, and a lot of the bubbles got sucked up and chewed up and spit out into the water stream. A definite improvement best I could tell.

My third setup happened when I found an 18 inch bubble bar (the green tubes with suction cups etc) I have it placed at the bottom of the tank, and roughly level. Small bubbles are trickling out of both ends. They are not the micro bubbles I was hoping for, but small bubbles none the less. Now here is my logic that I'd like some opinions on...

If I'm getting bubbles out both ends of an 18 inch bubble tube, one could reasonable suggest/assume that the entire bar is full of Co2? If that assumption is true, could one assume that even though the rest of the pores are not displaying enough pressure to actually bubble...Co2 may non the less be diffusing along them?

Thoughts?

(I know what some of you are thinking...go buy the $9 diffuser off amazon and enjoy your day. And I might, but I like messing around with stuff so humor me, lol)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
try chopsticks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurodon View Post
try chopsticks
That's next, lol. My idea behind the bubble bar was along the lines of the Co2 ladders...the most Co2 "surface area" in contact with water as long as possible.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Has anyone tried the balsa wood dowels they sell at hardware stores? I'm looking into a DIY diffuser and I've read chopsticks, cig filters, cotton, and make-up pads stuffed up really tight. I think I'm going to start with the makeup pads (because I have them) and if that doesn't work well enough, move on to others...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
The hagen elite mini gets my vote.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I looked at one of those yesterday ($11 + tax), but decided to only buy it as a last resort because I want this to be as cheap as possible.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is what I ended up running. It's a powerhead pulling though the top of a cut off water bottle stuffed with sponge along with an airstone below it. The airstone slowly lets the Co2 bubbles out, where they rise up to the sponge and get stuck to it. The rush of water passing by the sponge is thus far effectively dissolving all (95%) of the Co2 my little DIY can produce. Rarely a bubble or two will slip past the contraption.

Attachment 37385

It's ghetto, but it works.

Last edited by Daximus; 03-05-2012 at 06:24 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode