rust removal, resealing tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
rust removal, resealing tank

Hi folks, it's become necessary for me to reseal my tank and repaint the frame. The top frame/brace is made of metal and has rust at one end (from a HOT filter). I would like to repaint the frame but it's proven very difficult to remove for me to take outdoors.

Are there any suggestions for rust inhibitor paint or something else I can do? Since I can't move the tank or frame, I'd like to apply the paint via brush or roller.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Since the frame is rusting, it must be made of steel. I don't think it is possible to paint steel well enough to withstand constantly being wet. If you can keep the rim dry, like using it without a top on the tank, just carefully cleaning off the rust, priming and coating with rust resistant paint should work. Look for "naval jelly", I think it is called, to help with removing the rust. I would also want to use spray can rustoleum paint too, but that would require a lot of masking and draping paper around the area to keep the paint where you want it.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There are a number of products out there that claim to bond with the rust and prevent it from reoccurring. Clean it as best you can. Maybe treat it with oxalic acid and then coat it with one of those products. Then paint it. Try an automotive store they should have these products, or a good paint store.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
polish the exposed metal with a polish.

you need to use a chemical acid or sand paper to remove the rust.

But afterwards polish it with brasso or something, and it should keep it shiny for a while.

of course... this part doesnt sit in the water correct?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Yes, there will be no contact with water... well there might be a few drops on occasion.

How's this product?
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81756.../dp/B0007TQW5G

And once it's done, is it OK to use latex paint over it? I didn't see it mentioned in the datasheets.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Another technique for removing rust is etching with Phosphoric Acid. Phosphoric Acid has a unique property of dissolving iron oxide quickly while etching iron very slowly. This means that you can leave metal in Phosphoric Acid for much longer than necessary with very little damage. The acid will attack bare metal slowly and will start the process of hydrogen embrittlement, so use the minimum etch time that removes all rust.

Another unique advantage of Phosphoric Acid is that it leaves a fine coating of iron phosphate behind. Iron phosphate prevents rust. However, the iron phosphate coating is not very thick and not durable. Some additional protection is still required.

Phosphoric Acid etch will leave a hard, bright metal finish. This is because it will etch the surface slightly, exposing new, bare metal. Often this is desirable. It leaves an attractive surface and a surface ready to paint. A common product which contains Phosphoric Acid is Naval Jelly. The soft drink Coca-Cola contains Phosphoric Acid, so Coke will etch rust. But Coke also contains carbonic acid and other nasty things. You're going to drink that stuff?

Auto body shops treat metal with acid metal wash, a solution of Phosphoric Acid and alcohol before painting. This removes waxes and oils, removes slight amounts of rust that form between sand blasting and painting, and leaves a thin protective coat of iron phosphate. One commercial solution for this is DuPont Quick-Prep. Sherwin Williams has a similar product called Metal Prep.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon3 View Post
And once it's done, is it OK to use latex paint over it? I didn't see it mentioned in the datasheets.
i dont see why shouldnt as long as its not going to peal off and fall into your tank, or its not going to sit inside your tank.
Also i assume u know how to use a spray can paint right? or you intend to take a brush over it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bruce, I actually came across that site earlier. I picked up some Navel Jelly and Rust-Oleum Rust Remover, which does not say it contains it. The Rust-Oleum also *seems* safer.

Both look like they need primer and oil-based paint afterwards.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Naekuh - I can't take it outdoors... weather conditions are not good and the top frame won't come off the tank unless the entire thing is disassembled. So I think I'll use a brush.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode