Prolonging Yeast and CO2 generation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Prolonging Yeast and CO2 generation

Will adding Amquel water conditioner prolong yeast CO2 generation by acting as a solution buffer and protect yeast cells from byproduct damage?

Anyone experiment or have science on why it doesn't work?

It might at least work synergistically to harbor anaerobic conditions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It will neutralize chlorine. Nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
It might at least work synergistically to harbor anaerobic conditions
That sounds like marketing speak and wishful thinking.

Plus it's actually the reverse of what you want. If you can keep the mix fully aerobic (with oxygen) instead of anaerobic (without), yeast switch to an alternate metabolism; producing 3x as much CO2 for the same amount of sugar. And NO alcohol, which also means you can add more sugar.

Anyone who figures out how to do that economically, without diluting the CO2 with insoluble atmospheric nitrogen, and without causing an explosion, will significantly advance DIY CO2.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As far as I'm aware, the bio-chem reaction is:
Yeast + sugar = CO2 + ethanol

I believe that brewers' yeast, bakers' yeast, and "super secret CO2 reactor yeast" are identical and do the exact same reaction. As for an additive, I looked up 'alcohol poisoning' to see if there's an antidote. (Maybe something they use in the hospital E.R.??) Nope, medical treatment is to just wait it out and let the liver do all the neutralizing.

Anyhow, I coaxed my fermentor along for a few months doing weekly 50% water changes + 1/2 cup sugar. However it was just too much hassle for me. I bought a 20lb CO2 cylinder; that is the way to go!! It's virtually zero maintenance and I've been running on the initial fill for almost a year now.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Brewer/wine/champagne yeast are definitely not the same as standard baking yeast.

Wine & champagne yeasts can withstand much more alcohol and cooler temperatures and therefor last quite a bit longer in a standard 2L DIY reactor than the standard yeast you can pick up at the grocery store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As usual I'm not an expert, I was going off of wikipedia:
Baker's yeast: "Baker's yeast is of the species Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is the same species commonly used in alcoholic fermentation, and so is also called brewer's yeast."

++shrug++ I'm still a fan of CO2 cylinder systems
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Likewise. If you can afford it and have a tank larger than a few gallons, pressurized is definitely the way to go.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

You're all at fault..

...for global warming. I am also planning to go pressurized.

Is 20oz good for beginner 10gal and 5gal tanks at the same time?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My suggestion is to go with the biggest storage cylinder you can afford / fit. For example, you can go online to 'harbor freight' and get a steel 20 cubic-foot cylinder for $100 and cheap welding regulator for $30. CO2 fill would be about 10 bucks at a local welding center. A few extra brass fittings (needle valves, hose barbs, etc) to regulate the flow and you're in business. Total cost should be less than 200 bucks.

IMHO you'll never regret going too big on storage capacity . . . whereas going too small will mean incessant trips to the welding center or vast quantities of expensive CO2 cartridges.

Of course if you're into nano-tanks and would never consider anything bigger, a 20oz might be perfect.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I also still like the live liver suggestion.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (363/100%)
Quote:
++shrug++ I'm still a fan of CO2 cylinder systems
Yup, It is cheaper in the end. a #20 refill of $17 last mine for 1 year and 4 mos. But, I always reserved DIY CO2 around in case my tank empties in between refill.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

Do what the Monks did back in the middle ages. Ferment with lager yeast under refrigerated conditions. I havent tried this except in brewing beer, but the duration of the fermentation process is extended.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

Here in Malaysia it is cheaper to make CO2 with yeast because sugar is so damn cheap -- only RM2.40 a kg. That's about USD1.67 a pound.

I just haven't quite figured out the proper formula. So far the standard 2cups sugar + 1tsp yeast in 1.5l of water formula only lasts me 14 days maximum. It's probably the ambient temperature here, mostly above 88 degrees F. Another problem is I cannot get brewers yeast here. It's illegal to make moonshine here.

Anyway I managed to create a formula that lasts 12 days with less sugar. What I do is I just dilute the leftover mixture of dead yeast, alcohol and slightly sugary water with an equal part of water and a few teaspoons of sugar.

It takes longer to start up, sometimes more than 12 hours but then when it starts, it continues on with the remnants of the sugar from the old mix. It's also starting up from whatever yeast that survived the alcohol levels. I'm hoping that after a while a somewhat more alcohol-resistant strain of yeast will evolve in my bottles.

I heard that using sugar water in agar jelly will increase the longevity as well. How true is that?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (363/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandarreza View Post
Another problem is I cannot get brewers yeast here.
If you visit Johur Bahru, take bus #33 and cross JB to Singapore. I think they have wine yeast sold there.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:45 PM
Algae Grower

That is actually an excellent idea! It didn't occur to me. I'll look into it, thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode