Reactor working properly? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reactor working properly?

I just made a CO2 reactor out of a grave vachume, a power head and some filter media.
The CO2 bubbles are comming in and being beraten around in the vachume. But they do not seem to be dissolving completely adn there is always alot of them in the tube.
Does this look right, is the CO2 dissolving correctly, should I add something to the reactor?

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:22 PM

youve used the right media for the job, they look good you might need to reduce the flow a little so the bubbles dont quite meet the bottom of the tubes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If I reduce the flow the tube just fills with CO2, now the CO2 is all the way down to the blue filter pad. Its almost like the CO2 production is two much (2 * 2L bottles, 2cups sugar 3/4tsp yeast) It just seems that the CO2 isnt dissolving rapidly enaugh.
Could it be because the CO2 saturation of the water is already high? Ph: 6,2 and Kh about 2??

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sven, I can tell you, with certainty, that the 'excess' gas in your reactor is not CO2. Water uptakes CO2 far more easily than other gasses. Furthermore, since your CO2 level is high, your plants are likely producing a lot of Oxygen - likely saturating your tank. CO2 saturation is several hundred ppm; Oxygen saturation occurs at around 12ppm. So, high CO2/photosynthesis creates a situation that promotes Oxygen gas coming out of solution. It is likely that this is what is occuring in your reactor. I'm guessing that all that 'extra' gas disappears during the night.

Are you running pressurized or DIY (yeast/sugar) CO2?

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Im using DIY and the extra gas is not disappearing during the night, although it decreases. I think this is working well. When I came home from work today some of the fish were gasping for air at the water surface. So I unpluggled the CO2 and ran some air into the tank.
There is some scum on the surface. I was wondering if the surface-scum might be preventing new oxygen to get into the water through the water surface.
I think Ill not be running the CO2 system until I get 2-3 mollies to take care of the scum. I also need to add more plants, the tank is newly set up, about a week old now.
Thank you for your replies

Eheim pimp #127.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

High level of CO2 will interfere with fish's gas exchange at the gill. If the CO2 level in the water is high enough, or higher then fish's blood CO2 level, Fish have difficult time expelling CO2 out through their gill.

I found that out the hard way too. From the chart, there were a couple nights that my tank's CO2 shot up close to 50ppm. Fish could get some relief by gasping on the surface, but most of the shrimps are dead overnight.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sven, 1/4 teaspoon of yeast per bottle is enough. I use 1 teaspoon on my 2.5 gallon DIY jug.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Really, Ive alway heard 1 tsp yeast, never heard less then 1/2, so I whent the middle way.

What do you think about the surface scum? can that prevent new O2 from getting into the water and create a sort og "CO2 greenhouse effect"??

Eheim pimp #127.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You may have gotten your CO2 levels too high from using so much yeast to start. By using 3/4 teaspoons of yeast you will initially get a huge amount of fermentation and CO2 production.

The Plants should be producing more than enough oxygen for the fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode