Simple DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Simple DIY

Hey all, just registered. I built my own stand and hood (more pics later). I have gone through a lot of different methods and changes, trying to figure out what works best for me and is easiest to do. Many lessons learned the hard way, but valuable experience for me none-the-less for when I have the space and money for a larger tank(s). I like to be lazy so I tried to make this easy to maintain. I highly recommend the filters ($80 on amazon!), and I have 3 autofeeders which last for about 2 weeks before needing refilling.

Anyways, before some pictures of the build, here's the current finished product. Its relatively simple, but I really like how the tank turned out:

2 Magnum 350 filters (1 normal 1 polishing)
(4) 4' 32W daylight spectrum florescent light tubes (the kind you get at home depot)
Black Substrate from Petco.
Bunch of random fish
All the plants are Amazon Swords or Giant Vals. These things grow like weeds, haven't had much luck with other plants, but these 2 plants cover the tank pretty nicely IMO.

I bought the driftwood off Ebay. It took it about 2 months to sink, before that I put rocks on top of it.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome to TPT! This is a great place to learn just about everything you could want to know about planted tanks. Your tank looks nice, have you been into tanks for a while or is that just some "beginner's luck?" Oh, and what size tank is that?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very simple scape.. but looks awesome! good job man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, its a 55 gallon. I've had the tank for several years, its gone through many phases. Definitely no Beginners luck here... lots of trial and error... mostly error. I replaced the stock lights about about a year ago and went planted. (went to 128W of light from ~40 watts of light), been pretty much the same the past 6 months. Have gone through about 4 different filtration systems before settling on the magnum 350's. Thinking about adding magnums for more flow and longer maintenance intervals.

Trying to add some more foreground plants that will grow well. Haven't had much luck yet; I think my current plants hog the nutrients or something. Algae is finally under control though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would like to see some pics of how you made your hood.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (115/100%)
(4) 4' 32W daylight spectrum florescent light tubes (the kind you get at home depot)

I have the same setup for my 55g tank also. T-8's
Nice looking tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful in its simplicity. Very nice.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode