ABS vs PVC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ABS vs PVC?

Hello Everyone,

Is it ok to use ABS instead of PVC for building an inline CO2 reactor? My local hardware stores seem to only carry 3" or bigger in PVC. However, I can get 1.5" ABS (black). Also, my question extends to the use of ABS cement. Is that ok too?

I'm guessing it's ok once I let it cure for a good 24hrs and rinse well... no?

BTW, I did try searching the forums here but the search isn't really good on three letter words.

Thanks!

Yves

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves514
<snip>
BTW, I did try searching the forums here but the search isn't really good on three letter words...
Tell me about it . You can get around that to some extent by putting in an asterisk (like pvc* or abs*.) Of course that also means that you're going to be pulling up every single post that has "absolute" in it . FWIW I believe I remember this topic coming up somewhere, and the ABS was deemed safe. Maybe somebody with a better memory than I will be able to pin down the exact thread or article for you. It's odd that your Canadian hardware store doesn't carry the smaller pvc. Down here (and I would think up there, also) it's code to use schedule 40 PVC for DWV (drain/waste/vent) systems. I don't believe ABS is "legal" anymore in new construction for this purpose. 1.5" would be about the standard size coming from a lavatory drain.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
abs is not considered safe for potable water. it is said to leech "plasticizers" and should never be used for anything other than drainaige or wastewater. If you want to take the chances with your fish, that's up to you, just don't use it for any purpose that would double as drinking water for yourself or your family.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 01:07 AM

CPVC is for potable water pvc is not. The home depot store by me carries both, the cpvc is off white yellowish in color. IF possible I would build it well in advance, it took weeks for the primer and glue fumes the completely clear up off of the stuff. Good luck
dan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Interesting about the ABS. Not really surprised, it seems to be a fairly soft plastic.

PVC (schedule 40) can be used for cold water applications where the temperature does not exceed 120* in a pressure system, and 180* in a DWV system. Unless you've got gobis from Death Valley it's unlikely that you'd approach this . It may be (if your water meter is by the street, like ours,) what is supplying the water from the meter to your house distribution system. Ordinarily it is not approved for use in your household water system although CPVC (the off-white, tannish colored) is.

Yves, look around. Surely there must be somebody within a reasonable distance that has PVC and fittings in a wider array of sizes. If not, try looking online for "plumbing supplies" although the downside of this is you don't get to stand in front of a dizzying array of parts for hours fitting pieces together until you find something that'll work!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I looked around the net and found nothing that indicated that ABS is deadly to fish. Some pointed out that many aquarium parts are made from ABS such as the top frame/lip of the aquarium. The one thing that is common is that ABS cannot be used in a pressurized system. Which is why (IMO) it can only be used for waste water. Some other pointed out that even PVC is being phased out of home building for PEX. (dunno what that is)

I think I'll give it a try using ABS. I will hook it up using an old garden hose and let tap water run through it for a while or something like that.

Thanks everyone!

Yves

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi Yves, yes PVC pipe and fittings are hard to find up here. However if you can find a plumber or a plumbing shop near you they should have it. Also check out Home Hardware, they may not have the parts in stock but can order them in.(stocked in their warehouse) The only drawback w/HH is that you'll have to pay for a 10' of pipe unless they are willing to sell by the foot.

I've built my reactor out of ABS and so far no problems other than it's too small. ( used 1-1/2" vs 2", causing the water flow to be too fast for proper absorbtion of the CO2.)

PEX is a high pressure flexible line that uses crimp-on fittings vs glue and yes it will replace CPVC/PVC eventually ( for water supply) as it is a lot easier and quicker to work with.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 PM

i like pvc better
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
FWIW I believe I remember this topic coming up somewhere, and the ABS was deemed safe. Maybe somebody with a better memory than I will be able to pin down the exact thread or article for you.
This is the one-
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11772

Moved to Tucson.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
Awesome! Thanks for the link. It's comforting to know ABS isn't a problem.

Yves

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Talking

Most of the reactor I built is PVC but the trap cap is ABS and I can't attibute any issues to this plastic being in the system. The issues I've had in the tank have been my errors in judgment. Hope this isn't one of those little mistakes.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Planted Member

I just built a co2 reactor out of ABS plastic...nothings died so far.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:02 PM

I’m a builder and once needed to get some PVC up here in Canada. It was a real chore. the common answer I got, and later read about it was that PVC was being phased out in favor of ABS due to durability and cost (ABS is Much cheaper than PVC). It seems PVC is mostly made in the USA and too many jobs would be lost if they updated the building codes.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Algae Grower

Even if ABS did slowly leech something in the water it will probably be kept in check by regular water changes. I imagine that it would take a large amount to be toxic to fish.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, it's been a couple of weeks now and the ABS reactor I made is working like a charm and no fish casualties. I didn't think CO2 would make such a difference but WOW!

I think the only regret is that I used these screw-on couplers at each end so I could open up the reactor to clean it. WHAT A PAIN! The little plastic seals/gaskets aren't worth two cents! The first time, I set everything up and it was leaking. (Keep in mind my reactor is tucked away behind the cabinet in like 6" of space!) I just took it apart yesterday to inspect and came up with a way to check my gaskets after reassembly but before hooking it up to the tank. But to redo it, I think I would find better couplers. Maybe I'll go see if they have better gaskets or something...

Yves

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode