Idea about Turning Glass-holes Overflow into Herbie method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Idea about Turning Glass-holes Overflow into Herbie method

I have a glass-holes overflow on one my tanks and for anyone else that has one will know they are not as quiet as they calm to be. I have tried couple dozen different ways to try any quiet it down with no success. The problem can probably never be fix because it's an Air/Water mix drain.

So my idea is to make a second box between the glass and bulkhead that hang on the back the same way an HOB overflow would. But instead of the water being siphon up and over the rim of the tank, it will simply just flow through the bulkhead into the box behind the tank. Then i can use the herbie method
where the main drain line has a ball valve at the end of the drain line to control the water level in the back overflow box and a back up drain in case something gets plugged at the ball valve. This will allow the main drain line to be completely submerged, no more Air/Water mixing, which is what creates all the noise to begin with.

simple drawings

What are your thoughts on this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like a reasonably sound idea to me.

How many existing holes do you have to work with? It occurs to me that you might be able to do a modified Herbie or Bean Animal *through* the wall into your notional internal overflow box ....

I assume you have already looked at the Durso type and found it wanting?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I only have one 1" bulkhead work with. I'm not familiar with modified herbie or bean animal, how do they differ from standard herbie?

I have standard herbie method setup on another tank in an HOB overflow and its dead silent, no durso, just straight pipe.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
This sounds realistic. The water will find equalization at the back through the 1" hole, so it will work.

The bean animal method I believe requires three pipes instead of two, but quieter and offers a bit more control and never needs to be adjusted over time as things get gummy and munged up(<--- Technical terms).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After looking it up i see how it works. Bean animal is basically the same idea as herbie but from what i see its like you said Gatekeeper, requires 3 holes through the glass and is setup inside the overflow box in the tank and not out of the tank like im proposing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored4 View Post
After looking it up i see how it works. Bean animal is basically the same idea as herbie but from what i see its like you said Gatekeeper, requires 3 holes through the glass and is setup inside the overflow box in the tank and not out of the tank like im proposing.
But there is no reason that you can't do it on the outside box either. The third riser I believe is only a fail safe overflow.

The box on the back is technically just adding volume to the tank. Period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I'm not familiar with modified herbie or bean animal, how do they differ from standard herbie?
I'm afraid I didn't have a specific modification in mind, I was thinking you might be able to figure out a way to modify the ideas in those methods to suit your situation.

However, that was kinda assuming/hoping that you had more than one hole to work with. I think with just one hole, you're prowly best off doing what you were talking about in the first place -- overflow inside, collection box outside -- and plumbing the outside box in whatever way seems best suited to the rest of your set up.

In any case, as Gatekeeper says, there's no reason that the Bean Animal or Herbie system couldn't be set up inside your notional outer box: have a look at what they did here.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Excellent link NatCh! Exactly what I was aiming for.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What can I say? Teh googles like me.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like the Bean Animal method, but since i only have one hole through the glass my flow rate is limited to 1, 1" drain. So i don't think i could make it work unless i used 1/2" pipe or something. so i just going to stick to herbie method with one main and one back up drain.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Many folks have been quite satisfied with that approach.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I like the Bean Animal method, but since i only have one hole through the glass my flow rate is limited to 1, 1" drain. So i don't think i could make it work unless i used 1/2" pipe or something. so i just going to stick to herbie method with one main and one back up drain.
I agree to a point. There would be a limit, but this would also depend partially on the size of the reservoir box.

You can use 3/4" PVC also which would help this. Ultimately, I think it would be fine.

You could always drill more holes!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This works! i built a box just like my diagram and i now have a working through the wall HOB overflow

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode