Just thought i would post up some pics of my DIY CO2 setup. Its not that different from most of the others that have been posted earlier, but it works nice for my 10 gallon setup. If anyone has any ideas on improvements please post it up! As for my reasons for choosing to use a DIY setup in the first place. Well its my first tank and i didn't want to spend the money on the regulator, solenoid, tank, and other items until I knew this first tank was going to work out.
Here are all the parts i used for an outlet from my sugar and yeast bottles.
Here is another shot of the outlet assembly. This goes through the cap that put into the mill at work and drilled a 1/4" hole through.
Here is the cap that I put the 1/4" hole through. I cleaned up all the edges with a jewelers file to get a good seal with the rubber O-ring.
Here is the cap with the outlet tightened down. You can see how it compresses the rubber o-ring between the cap and flat washer. It also squeezes against the brass 1/8" nipple fitting.
Here is the whole bottle with the cap on. I already added 4 cups of sugar and dissolved it into the water. All i need to do now is add the baking yeast.
Here you can see the setup with the CO2 line connected. I put a 1 way valve to prevent back flow of water when i disconnect the bottle for refills.
Next in line is the Fluval bubble counter. I dont suppose i really need this now considering i have no control over how much CO2 is being added, but I can at least see if its time to replace the mix. I usually don't let it drop below 2 bubbles a second if i can help it.
Last, but not least is my diffuser. I got this off of Amazon.com with my Drop Checker. Not bad for a combined total of $30 for the pair. (maybe it is a bad deal. I'm just telling myself it's good!)
That's about it. If you have any questions about anything on the setup please post up a reply!