LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to kingrattus
3 DIY Filters with a pinch of a rant

=======
Filter #1 complete with a pinch of rant
=======
I'm at a loss as I don't know what I need, how big, etc for a DIY project... I am working on a budget, a poor (wo)mans budget & just cannot afford another $200 canister filter that is going to break in just over 1yr.

I'm quite flustered as I've lost 3 canisters in 5yrs & had several 10yr old fish die as I couldn't afford another new filter in time (used a lot of little filters & too many water changes just trying to save them). I care a great deal about my fish and every lose hurts. This all started when I got into larger tanks, which needed larger filters. Never had issues with my small tanks & their filters.

I'm somewhat handy, but limited on tools (no saws), so I feel plastics would be easiest for me to work with as I can drill cut them.

My planted tank, old pic. Plants are larger and there is now a large piece of drift wood.

Its a shrimp & small catfish tank.
20 Cherry Shrimp
1 Corry cat 7yrs old)
1 whiptail cat 4yrs old
6 albino BN plecos (5 are still fairly small as I bought them as fry)
1 Upside down catfish 4yrs old 2-3"

Down the road I would like to add a few snails, & a couple african dwarf frogs (my shrimp population needs to be much higher & more stable as I know they'll become a meal).

The type of filter I would feel safest with is one that can work above the tank. I rent a Condo so I don't want to deal with an oops from a DIY filter. My tank is in the spare room so it doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to work & well. The room is my personal get away & where I keep all my critters that would give my boyfriend a heart attack

=======
Filter #2
=======
Its for a 90gal tank, but needs to be rated for a 200gal as I'm not keeping fish. I have Softshell Turtles, but they are VERY sensitive to water conditions & their 2 filters are starting to struggle (they are going to die soon) so I want to make a DIY above tank filter for them as well.

Mustard. Onion looks just like Mustard but its smaller & uglier(had a violent life before I adopted him)

Pickles

Yes I named them Mustard, Onion, & Pickles. My fav toppings on a burger lol

=======
Filter #3
=======
Its for a 100gal indoor pond, but needs to be rated for a 300gal as its housing a snapping turtle. It also needs to be above the pond.

No pic as hes camera shy & gets really upset.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would recommend something along these lines. Over tank filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
A question should be, how is it that you're losing canister filters?
Many of us use a canister for years, some for decades. Maybe we can help you repair or rebuild them if you kept them.

Next, about the "2 filters are starting to struggle (they are going to die soon)"
The impeller and the shaft it spins on are the only moving parts. There are rubber or plastic bearings, but they are usually replaceable.

For your pond, a 5g bucket or cat litter bucket filter is about as cheap as one can get. Riser to keep the pump in the bottom, gravel on top of the riser, floss - lots of it - on top of the gravel.
Something similar to this.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=60394

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode