DIY CO2 Pressure issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Pressure issues

Running a basic setup here, ASA Paintball on off valve to 1/8th to 1/4th compression fitting to needle valve. I can't get a low pressure off it though. Its either kicking in full on or well much higher than 3 bubbles a second or off. Can't seem to find any sort of middle ground. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Current Aquarium: Will post when i get it back up to being pretty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could install a second needle valve
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thought about that, major issue with that attempt is finding a things that are female compression threading. Might just let it go at the six or so it was running and just see how it goes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What I did was I used a small rubber mallet and tapped on the needle valve gently to turn it on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Soooo, we're talking here about PAINTBALL Co2, not DIY(Yeast based) Co2? Maybe you "Did It Yourself" assembling this setup, but that would make just about everything DIY in this hobby, which of course isn't true. Not trying to pick nits, but maybe we should be more clear about titles so people don't start throwing DIY onto everything they do, and so newbies don't get mixed up and perpetuate mistakes.
Anyways, that's it for my DIY post.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Sounds like the problem is your needle valve. It could either be that it's not a low-flow needle/metering valve and isn't designed to work at low bubble counts, or it could be a needle valve not rated for the 800psi that the cylinder puts out. Either way, it sounds like you need a new needle valve.

Remember that using regulators reduces the pressure from 800 to 10-50psi or so, so needle valves can be much more precise. An ASA valve is not a regulator, however, so your needle valve has to deal with the full 800psi.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm thinking a regulator is whats needed here after doing some research, going to mess with it again tomorrow try the tapping it slowly cause I think alot of my issue is i'm just opening it up too much. Cause closed the needle valve holds fine. I think i'm just opening it too much perhaps. We'll see tomorrow..

I'll snag some pictures as well. Kinda had to ghetto rig it due to not finding the right fittings, apparently no one sell's 1/8th needle valves around here went to five or six stores...

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_fish80 View Post
Yeah I'm thinking a regulator is whats needed here after doing some research, going to mess with it again tomorrow try the tapping it slowly cause I think alot of my issue is i'm just opening it up too much. Cause closed the needle valve holds fine. I think i'm just opening it too much perhaps. We'll see tomorrow..

I'll snag some pictures as well. Kinda had to ghetto rig it due to not finding the right fittings, apparently no one sell's 1/8th needle valves around here went to five or six stores...

If you like to build your own thing don't buy expensive regulators.

can you tell me what is your asa valve? what is your needle valve?

look at jaggedfury DIY. It has so much information what you need for paintball co2. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...etup-tons.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm68 View Post
Soooo, we're talking here about PAINTBALL Co2, not DIY(Yeast based) Co2? Maybe you "Did It Yourself" assembling this setup, but that would make just about everything DIY in this hobby, which of course isn't true. Not trying to pick nits, but maybe we should be more clear about titles so people don't start throwing DIY onto everything they do, and so newbies don't get mixed up and perpetuate mistakes.
Anyways, that's it for my DIY post.
Who cares?

|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

You may also be able to curtail this, if your CO2 reactor (if you use one) is internal on your tank. Just decide what the "maximum safe" amount of CO2 is in your reactor, and cut a hole about a half-dime size in the reactor in that spot. Any excess gas will bubble out safely if it overloads the reactor.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oddly found a simple solution, I had a little CO2 based air tool set that came with a regulator, but well haven't used it other than the one time I needed it and to clean my computer cases. No clue why I didn't think to use it in the first place, I'm usually the type to just use whatever I have laying around before going out to buy something. Kind of handy really think the setup ran me about 60 bucks or something came with the regulator, a little air hose forget what else really some O rings and the like. But no less system is working fine now, going to return the ASA fitting and just get a second CO2 tank so I don't have to worry about making it to the store if it goes out mid week.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_82384-61735-...d=10151&rpp=24

(( NOTE:: Has a lot of bad reviews people saying it tends to leak air, I stuck mine in a bucket of water to check for leaks, I don't have any, maybe I will down the road but so far no leak. ))

I think I got mine on sale for like 40 percent off awhile back.

But still less expensive than some of the ones designed for aquariums, fittings are a bit of a pain. I think I've four or five connection points to get it into the needle valve lol. But it doesn't leak. So no big deal. No less Pressure issue solved.

Total cost of my setup.

24 for Co2 tank
50 for the regulator -- 89 now since its not on sale
then about 10 or so for fittings and needle valve.

So somewhere around 85, probably could have gone cheaper but thats ok, this seems more precise than running the needle valve off the asa fitting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode