My 1st DIY CO2 (Some ?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My 1st DIY CO2 (Some ?)

OK so I have an 8 gallon tank that's a little over a month old and I only have 6 vals in it (didn't plan on it being a planted tank) and 2 gups. The older leaves are starting to brown at the edges. I read a lot of the other posts here and so this is my "plan" so far...

A 1L bottle with the yeast mixture -> smaller bottle -> into tank -> ?

So...
1. I want to use the small bottle to catch any yeast... does it have to be filled with water or just empty?

2. Is this bottle size fine for an 8 gallon? (Tank will have more plants soon)

3. What would be the best way to diffuse the co2? I know that airstones aren't great but I can't go and build a reactor either

Thanks guys and sorry it's so long

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would replace the small bottle between your liter bottle and the tank with a check valve. You may want to use a 2L beverage bottle with 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp wine yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp soy flour or protien supplement. It should go at least 3 weeks. Fill with water 3/4 full. If you have chlorine in your water, add so dechlorinator.

Air stones will work but you will have to clean them often. I use a Hagan ladder.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:25 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8wayg8r
I would replace the small bottle between your liter bottle and the tank with a check valve. You may want to use a 2L beverage bottle with 1 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp wine yeast, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp soy flour or protien supplement. It should go at least 3 weeks. Fill with water 3/4 full. If you have chlorine in your water, add so dechlorinator.

Air stones will work but you will have to clean them often. I use a Hagan ladder.
If you don't dechlorinate the mixture water what will happen? I have been running the hagen unit for sevral weeks with a diy mixture but I didn't even consider dechlorinating the water.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The chlorine could kill the yeast.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

StUK:

So could I please have more details to flesh out your plan? For example how much CO2 needed depends on lighting, plants (are you planning for more than vals?), phase of the moon...

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well... right now I only have a 10w Biolux bulb over it (it's the highest they had for an 8 gallon and I'll get another one once this algae gets under control). I was thinking about some anacharis and still need to find something short for the front. Moon phase... umm... *peeks out window* a bit more than half... waning I believe. Does that really affect how much co2 they use? Hmm ya learn something new everyday...

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Expect an new growth of algae whenever you increase your light. You need at least twice what you have now. That means you may need to remove you hood and make another hood or reflector that holds two 10W (or are they 13W) compact flourescent bulbs. When you get your light, then worry about the CO2.

Search the net for lighting articles and spend some time in the light section here.

Enjoy.

Andrew, MASI Treasurer

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode