Looky what I made! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looky what I made!

I needed a stand for my 56g but didn't want to spend $2-300 at least, and I wanted something that went with the furniture in my living room. So, I made one! I used the frame from this DIY: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1169964

Then I put a skin and a top on it! It matches my coffee table and side table perfectly, except that they have turned legs. I didn't even want to go there- I'm not a master woodworker by any stretch!

It cost me about $75 not including paint which I still had from refinishing the other furniture.

~June
2500g koi pond, 56g community tank, 29g community tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
wow nice! Wish i was handy like that!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Very nice!

Post it here please!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Very nice!

Post it here please!
Ohmigosh- after mnellis3023 's creation? That's a tough act to follow.

~June
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Agreed. That is just flat out showing off. Sheesh. LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Wow. that's NICE.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
That looks fantastic.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone! Now.... to build the light fixture. My pair of 24" Sun Blaze T5's came in and I'll have to mess around with the brackets a lot to get these to work. Still debating building a whole canopy/hood assembly or just a housing for the lights that I can suspend or set on top of the tank.

~June
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For easy maintenance a hanging light is many times better than a big, massive hood, which can't easily be removed. I learned this the hard way several years ago.

Hoppy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah, thanks Hoppy! Decision made!

~June
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
^2nd that. I've been working on my stupid, heavy, PITA hood for a month now. I just got it up and running last night. Although I still need to add 3 coats of poly, two more hinges, and a few other odds'n ends. Basically, another weekend of wood working, instead of fishing. My honey do list is PILING up, and the weekends keep getting colder.

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
For easy maintenance a hanging light is many times better than a big, massive hood, which can't easily be removed. I learned this the hard way several years ago.
+1 on that. If you hang the light, I would recommend using mostly thin flexible steel wire for appearance purposes. But do yourself a favor and make it easy to adjust the height--I did this by making the final stretch to the ceiling hooks out of that cheesy chain used to hang light fixtures. So if I want to adjust height, I just move the links up or down.

Also, that big heavy hood approach looks...well...ugly to me. If you want some ideas you can look at the build in my signature. (Ignore the tape, which has become a running joke.) But if you want inspiration...then try out some Krenov.

sns26

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, that's nice! Thanks for the tip! Mine is probably going to be either a plain old box, either black or stained to match the stand top.

I'm not sure where to start with this though- for a 24" deep tank (30x18), two 24" T5HO's spaced 6 inches apart and staggered- I'm trying for low-med light. There will be a glass top on the tank and the lights will be 2" from the bottom edge of the hood/box/enclosure thingy I'm building. Should I start on top of the tank, or go ahead and start with the light hanging?

~June
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Start with the light hanging. Especially at the beginning, too much light is liable to cause an algae explosion. (Will you be using CO2?)

Also, trust me when I say that you really can't appreciate what a PITA it is to have your light sitting on top of your tank until you work on a tank where there's nothing to remove before doing maintenance.

And by the way, if the DIY bug has bitten you hard, you could always go with LEDs...when I was at your stage in my tank build, RedfishSC and Hoppy seduced me to the dark (light?) side. I'll never go back to fluorescents again.

And...don't do a "plain old box." The fixture will be at eye level, so you want it to feel like it's part of the stand. If you feel like your skills are limited, try making a basic rectangular box, then add some simple trim molding to it. Paint the box, stain the trim. Voila. It will look great.

sns26

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm hoping not to have to use CO2. Low tech if I can find the perfect balance!

I was going to get some wrought iron 12-14" wall plant hangers to suspend the light from as I have wrought iron stair railings in the room and I think they would look great. I could probably manage putting a little trim on the box- I do have a miter saw.

I already have my T5's so I'm going to stick with those. If I go LED I'd have to ask my electricity savvy husband to help, and he's already grumbling about me setting up a tank in the first place, LOL. As it is, I'm going to have to ask him to replace the two blindingly white cords with one black one so it won't be so noticeable.

~June

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode