safest yeast co2 posssible? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
safest yeast co2 posssible?

I am going to be setting up a yeast co2 system in my 10g to test if I want to do a pressurized system, but I want to do it as safely as possible, so here is my plan.
I will run the co2 line through a second bottle to prevent the yeast mix getting into the aquarium.
I will use a needle valve to control the co2 flow and a bubble counter to measure it.
I will use a drop checker to monitor co2 levels.
I will use a check valve to prevent back syphoning.
Now the questions.
Do I fill the second bottle with water or not?
Should I put the needle valve after the first bottle or after the second bottle?
Will a needle valve potentially build up too much pressure in the system?
Where should I place the diffuser in the tank (using an HOB filter)?
Would appreciate any advice, I want to do this right the first time so I don't kill any fish or shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Second bottle with water? Either way. If you do, you can use it as a bubble counter.
Needle valve position? Don't use one.
Needle valve pressure? Yes. You're asking for a yeast explosion.
Diffuser position? Anywhere bubbles are likely to be blown through the water. Under the HOB is good.

Advice? Use a nano diffuser - not all diffusers will work. A drop checker will probably do nothing for you unless you use a different KH solution - you likely won't have enough CO2 injected to change the color. Make sure everything is tight, safest place for the yeast mixture is above the tank and anchored, use cheap plastic check valves because they'll collect yeast yuck, and be patient. Don't mess with a darn thing for the first 24 hours of operation, because it'll take a good long while for pressure to build to the point where it forces past the diffuser.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, that's about what I thought. I did neglect to ask about fertilizer though, I currently have flourish and kent proplant, but I think it would be best for me to swap to dry ferts if I do co2. I am thinking CSM+b and magnesium sulfate. Would you guys recommend anything else?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have been running soy co2 for 6 months maybe and I can tell you that I agree with the above. Except for about the drop checker. I have diy co2 and it's enough to change the drop checker. I would definitely get one. I can get mine all the way to straight yellow.

You can call me Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koebwil View Post
OK, that's about what I thought. I did neglect to ask about fertilizer though, I currently have flourish and kent proplant, but I think it would be best for me to swap to dry ferts if I do co2. I am thinking CSM+b and magnesium sulfate. Would you guys recommend anything else?
Omg I haven't met another member that uses Kent pro plant, I love that stuff and I find extremely good growth rates using it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
for a valve to control the Co2 I use this.

It is sold in home depot or lowes under the misting type irrigation stuff. they all use 1/4 black tubing.

I can shut it closed and it will still bleed through in micro bubbles. which is a good thing. Otherwise, boom! I only shut it to shake the bottle, except for last night I forgot and came back a few hours later to realize. My diffuser was making very fine micro bubbles. I opened it up and it was raging.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I do not recommend using any sort of shut off on your diy yeast co2. It is asking for an explosion. Either pull the diffuser out or run an airstone at night when lights are off.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
If you're going to use a shut off, you'll need to search the forum to check out some of the DIY plans that use a reservoir bottle that contains a pressure release valve. But at that point, you're looking at enough cash to spend the $15 on a paintball regulator on eBay.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Screw it. I'll just get a fluval 88g for 60 bucks and mod that out if need be.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Plant Clown

Bad idea. Don't get anything that requires canisters. The costs are unbelievable over a very short period of time.

Go fully pressurized if you're not going to stick with DIY. A couple hundred bucks up front and almost none over time.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've seen mods that let you use paintball canisters with the fluval system. even if I can't find one I am a machinist for a living so I could just make one.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Plant Clown

If you've decided on it, go for it. But consider this - if you stick with CO2, you *will* eventually go with a traditional pressurized system. If you want to ease into it, fine, but it will cost you more money in the long run. Spend money now, spend money later, or spend money steadily along the line. Whatever works best for you.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

You could spend $60 on a traditional dual-stage regulator right here on the forum. I say do that. If you want to use paintball, you can get a $15 adapter.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Who is selling regulators for that cheap? I have decided to listen to reason bite the bullet and do it right.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

There are a couple sellers here on the forum. Check the Power Sellers section.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode