What's in your sump? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's in your sump?

I feel like I'm missing something in my sump. I'm not sure I fully understand how the filtration works and what I *need* in there.

My sump set up was given to me, so I'm working within the system as it was originally made. It's a 25 gallon tank that is divided about 40/60 with an acrylic pane that has about a 3" gap at the bottom. On the smaller side, from top to bottom, water comes from the overflow and exits the tubing from a T shaped PVC pipe with lots of holes drilled in it. The water then flows through a blue and white filter sponge sitting on a grate covering about 2 gallons of bioballs. The water trickles through that and fills up the bottom 1/3 of the sump tank....the bioballs all sit above the water line. There is a two layer green sponge at the bottom of the acrylic pane separating the two compartments of the sump. In the larger section, I have the mag 7 pump and a heater. There is a fair amount of crud that collects on the bottom of this section. It's also where all the snails end up (grr). There also is a film on the top of the water here.

I don't have any carbon or UV sterilizers or whatever else.

So. What's in your sump?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Perot foam is all I use now....two sheets, one blue, one black.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
My sump is basically the same. Only difference is that stuff builds up on the bioball side instead of the pump side, maybe because my split is about 70/30 instead of 40/60.

I do wish my pump side was a little larger sometimes.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I am using Poret foam too, 10 pore and 30 pore. My sump hasn't any divider, the foam stands between the 40 breeder tank walls. I put the old sponge and scrubbies between the layers. At the moment the intake side is larger than the output side but with sponge walls I can change if I please.

Water comes in and exits through a drilled 1" pipe but I do like the idea of making it a T instead, may do that. The spare filter's biological media, heater and thermometer are in that section. Then comes the foam/scrubbies. The pump section holds the CO2 reactor as well as the pump and the pump is covered with a sponge as well.

That crud is probably really great stuff, ugly though it is. Am looking forward to siphoning most of it into the garden now I can SEE it and now I have enough room to maneuver in there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode