DIY Dual Stage Reg - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY Dual Stage Reg

I have just recently gotten into planted aquariums and really enjoy everything about them. I have yet to set up my tank but have been working on everything to make sure it is all good to go. My biggest concern was setting up a stable, accurate and easy to use CO2 rig. There are countless threads on here for post body kits that work great. I wanted to try something different that is a bit cheaper and works just as well.

I come from a paintball background ( I've been playing for 16 years and have traveled all over the globe to play professionally ) and CO2/compressed air is very familiar to me. The paintball regulators out there are used for CO2/compressed air all the time. They are smaller, extremely adjustable, light and come standard with 1/8" ports. As well they are extremely easy to take apart to if anything were to go wrong as well. Most are adjustable from 50-450PSI with a small 3/16" or 1/8" allen key. I few that have been around forever are...
  1. DYE - Hyper2, Hyper3, Proto
  2. CP - Gen2 and Gen3
  3. Bob Long - Any new style.
Hyper3 - I will be using this.

Now it seems that everyone is looking for a dual stage reg so I searched for a small regulator that is adjustable from 0-100PSI. After searching I found a great regulator that has a tiny footprint along with easy adjustment. Norgren R07. The best part is you can find them new from $5-15! This will be our second regulator along with the paintball reg.

Size :

Pull cap up and you will unlock it to adjust. Simple and easy.

Very easy to take apart

First you will need to adjust the main/paintball reg under 300 psi for the Norgren regulator as it has a max input of 300PSI. Connect everything else like you normally would an tada, dual stage regulator. This is smaller, lighter and cheaper ( no used equipment ).

I will have everything set up this weekend to show more photo's. I am working on a adapter for the paintball reg to fit on a bulk CO2 tank.

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use one of those Norgen regulators after my single stage regulator, except I have a Beverage Factory regulator and not one of those nice little paintball regulators. I have had it set up this way for about 8 months now with no issues. I was a bit concerned at first because the Norgen regulator I have says that it's for compressed air only, but I figured that if it fails I only have about 25 - 30 psi going through it so it shouldn't do any major damage.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Very cool! It says compressed air only but it uses buena orings. This is the same we use in paintball guns ( that use CO2/compressed air ) a it works just fine. If it failed it would only release air out of the adjustment part of the reg.

I look forward to getting it going this weekend.

-Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any update?

I though there would be lots of interest in this. The current paintball setups are asking for trouble.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I should have something this week. I have everything in stock now and just waiting on my 24v power supply to come in for the solenoid.

I'll post some photos tonight of the setup.

-Dave

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode