DIY CO2 Cold Weather OPS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Cold Weather OPS

After reading several threads and websites about DIY Co2 systems, it looks like I need to build in some temperature control for my fermentation process.

I could do the system with yeast bottles sitting in a tub of water with a water heater to maintain temperature. I was also thinking that maybe I could get good results if I were to put my yeast bottles in an ice chest and then keep it warm using the ballast from my lighting system to keep it warm.

Anyone try this?

I'm sure there's all sorts of danger here. Possibility of yeast bottles exploding combined with the high voltage ballast. (Hey, they cool nuclear reactors with liquid sodium, right?)

Anyway, winter is fast approaching and I need a good way to maintain aquarium heat and provide a steady flow of Co2. I allow the temperature in my house to drop to 50 degrees F during the winter months at night. Temps outside can get as low as -40F. Wyoming winters are just loads of fun.

Harry
55 GAL of well water, plants, and fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
just insulate the bottles with some foam or a blanket. K.I.S.S.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
May want to get your hands on some champagne yeast. Can withstand higher alcohol levels and produces better results cold than baker's yeast does when warm.

I've had a 2L bottle running with champagne yeast in a room that's constantly 58 degrees (gotta keep an employee happy) for 7.5 weeks and it's going strong.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

I've never heard of temp control but you may be on to something. My DIY system runs just a little over 2 weeks no problems....I keep my house 74F. Only issue I have is I want to find a way to turn off the CO2 at night so the plants can go through their recovery process where they use O2 at night.....at least this is what I've seen recommended. I hate to waste 8 hours of fermentation.....any ideas on how to capture the gas or the best way to just unscrew the cap?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Your critters are usually what need O2 at night. It's fine to leave it running 24/7. Just increase surface agitation of your water at night or use an airstone if you're concerned about things or see your fish gasping.

While it can be done (and I've done it a couple times), it's not really cost effective (when you consider paintball setups are cheap) to add a method of evening control. Typically involves creating a reservoir bottle with a manifold, safety release valve, ball valve and such.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, here in Wyoming, it get's pretty darn cold during the winter months. After thinking it over, I've decided to place the yeast bottles next to the canister filter and wrap them with a thermal blanket. the heat given off by the filter should keep the yeast bottles warm enough to keep the yeast going at a trickle rate at least when the house is cooler. The heat trapped inside my aquarium stand should be sufficient to keep the fermentation process going. Better to keep the electronic ballast up high away from any possible spillage.

Harry
55 GAL of well water, plants, and fish
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigfly78 View Post
I've never heard of temp control but you may be on to something. My DIY system runs just a little over 2 weeks no problems....I keep my house 74F. Only issue I have is I want to find a way to turn off the CO2 at night so the plants can go through their recovery process where they use O2 at night.....at least this is what I've seen recommended. I hate to waste 8 hours of fermentation.....any ideas on how to capture the gas or the best way to just unscrew the cap?
Then you will have to wait for the pressure to build back up and depending on your rate of co2 production you may barely get any into your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode