Water filter repurpose - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Water filter repurpose

So the other day I was driving through town and I saw where someone had tossed out among other things an old water filter out. One that looked similar to this

I was wondering if anyone had ever converted one of these for use in the aquarium as a canister filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Tons of threads on these things. I use one as a CO2 reactor.

Let me dig up some links and post for you.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank VIP

As a CO2 Reactor https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...2-reactor.html

Scroll down, this guy uses it as a filter. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...tml#post920019

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Thanks for the links, I'm definitely more interested in the cases where people have used them for filtration. I that second link I saw it looked like he used the cartridges that came with the filter. Would it be possible to put your own media in them? Also what directs the flow down into media as opposed to the flow just going straight across the top from the intake to the output?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

You can certainly use your own media. You need to provide a riser pipe inside the canister to keep it from bypassing.

I used a PVC pipe (with exact height as the filter media) and drilled holes at the bottom. This forced the flow down to the bottom near the holes (which become the intakes to go up and out). Get the idea?

I also use a gasket at the top to, just because getting a perfect fit is not always easy.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
You can certainly use your own media. You need to provide a riser pipe inside the canister to keep it from bypassing.

I used a PVC pipe (with exact height as the filter media) and drilled holes at the bottom. This forced the flow down to the bottom near the holes (which become the intakes to go up and out). Get the idea?

I also use a gasket at the top to, just because getting a perfect fit is not always easy.
So the riser pipe is attached to the output side?

Is this diagram about right?

arrows indicate flow, "[" and "]" indicates canister walls, "l" indicates rise pipe, ":" indicates media

>>>>[v:::::l]>>>>
.......[v:::::l]
.......[v:::::l]
.......[v:>:>l]

What do you use for a pump and how/where do you connect it?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Hows this...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I may have the parts in my basement to build another one, I can show you parts and list first hand if I get some time this weekend.

And to answer your other question, I am not using it as a filter, I am using it as a reactor. Its connected to the outflow of one of my canister filters.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

cool thanks for the sketch!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode