how and where do you people get spraybars! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
how and where do you people get spraybars!

I have a fluval 204 and i dont want a huge mass of water jetting out.. so i want to get a spraybar... how where and how do you buy/make one? and once you buy/make one how do you attach it. just wanted to know and if the answers real simple. i am not afraid of looking stupid.

out of the aquarium for a while... college
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:19 PM

I made mine out of the black pvc you can get in the garden sprinkler area at Home Depot. had to get a couple fittings to hook it to the hose and get it up and over the edge of the tank.. but I think it looks good, and with being black it blends in with the background
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I did the same thing. In my case, I had a short spray bar that came with my XP3. So, I just took the spray bar to HD, picked out parts that would fit snuggly together, then came home assembled them and drilled some equally spaced holes. I remember looking for quite a while and grumbling about not being able to find the exact piece I wanted. But with enough time, I came up with all the needed pieces.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
The black pipe in the lawn irrigation section at Home Depot or Lowe's is the ticket. I, too, have a Fluval 204 and I was in a hurry when I made my spraybar and just used regular white plastic schedule 40 PVC such as you find in the plumbing section. It doesn't look pretty, but it does the job. It will take a bit of experimentation and messing with it to get exactly what you want. One bit of advice I can give you is that you'll want to dry fit everything (IOW, no glue) before you put it together permanently. I ended up taking the "spray" part of my set-up out about 3 times and putting more holes in it as the flow was just too forceful. Also I had to come up with an angle of flow that I (and my plants) could live with.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank
yea the closest loes or homedepo is a good 40miles from here. anywhere else can i get it? and what fittings do i need rosehawke? you got what i got... any specific advice.

out of the aquarium for a while... college
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newkidonthetank
yea the closest loes or homedepo is a good 40miles from here. anywhere else can i get it? and what fittings do i need rosehawke? you got what i got... any specific advice.
How far do you live from the local fish store?? You most likely can get rigid tubing from most pet stores or maybe even craft or hobby stores.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I see from Mapquest that there's a "Orscheln Farm & Home" in Beatrice. They probably have plumbing supplies, although you'll probably not find the black stuff. Another possibility is a plant nursery, IF they have pond and/or fountain supplies. That's hit or miss. You can use the white PVC and paint it black, I did with some of mine. I just used regular black spray paint which doesn't stick too well however and is prone to scratching. There's a new paint out by Krylon which is supposed to be specifically for plastic but I've not tried it. If you end up painting it just make sure that it's well cured (dried) before sticking it in the tank so that any possibility of toxicity is minimized.

The actual spraybar I made is basically like this broken down (although the measurements are mostly approximate) :1/2" end cap, 10" 1/2" PVC drilled with about a dozen 1/8" holes, 90* elbow fitting, about 8-10" of PVC (I have the spraybar situated about halfway down in my tank and the holes angled down about 45*); 90* elbow at the top of the tank/hood opening; short piece of PVC, just enough to put two elbows together (although there's something called a street elbow that would eliminate this, I didn't see any,) the other 90* elbow; PVC long enough to reach below the bottom of the tank to attach up the canister . I replaced the tubing that came with the filter with clear tubing, I can't remember for sure, I THINK it was 5/8" ID (interior diameter,) then a joint fitting that is a slip (glue) joint on one side and female threaded on the other as I did have to find some fancy little barb fitting to make the transition from the PVC to the tubing. Last thing was clamping it with a metal hose clamp. The only parts I actually have glued on my setup are the parts that go up and over the side of the tank. That last elbow and the spraybar itself are left free (the stuff usually fits tight enough that it's not going to come loose) so that I can play with the angle and
direction of flow.

Now I've got my spraybar situated about halfway down and front to back with the flow going slightly down and across the tank. You could opt for a much longer one and have it going across the back (I think the Eheim actually has a spraybar like this,) or place it on the bottom with the flow going straight up, or just below the waterline with the flow going across the tank. Whatever you're happy with and what works for you.

Hope this helps at least some!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode