In-Line CO2 diffusor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
In-Line CO2 diffusor

I got the idea from after seeing some of cal teks in line diffusors. I was going to just buy one of those cause I liked the look.... until I saw the cost. .. AND there wasnt one big enough for my tank. At any rate what I am going to do, I have already picked up a 55mm atomic diffusor and the nesscary PVC pieces. I settled on using a 2 inch Y assembly. Unless I can find a 1/8 two way barb, the CO2 hose will be poked through a screw on cap and sealed (this way it allows me to clean/open if nessecary) the diffuser will mount inside most likely free hanging / suction cupped to the interior wall. The straight portion will be capped off with barb attachements sealed in place to attach the hose pieces to. I went this route in order to keep the overall flow of the water and I wont have to worry about "crud" collecting on media stuffed in there to break apart the CO2, after the diffuser housing it will pass into the aquarium as normal through the return. I figure with the size of the new tank (125 gallons) this would be the best way to saturate the water with the needed CO2. Below is a little diagram Overall around 40-50 bucks invested.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp In line diffuser.bmp (235.5 KB, 194 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
ebay = cheaper alternative

also RG reactor > diffuser
and ~$15 each

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes but all the reactor thingsi saw seemed to reduce water flow quitea bit and couldn't find any to fit my size hosing

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Yes but all the reactor thingsi saw seemed to reduce water flow quitea bit and couldn't find any to fit my size hosing
cerges reactor should fit the bill.

Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The simple RG inline reactor has nearly no effect on flow itself. The gotchas come when 90 degree elbows are used. Avoid those with runs of your size tubing (without kinks) and you'll never see a difference unless you perform very careful flow measurements.

I've never built a Cerges but all that I've seen indicates it is often full of sharp 90 degree turns. YMMV.

I found an inline heater had far greater effect. Details on my blog.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you all for the great info. I will have to check out the cerges for the future. already but the bullet on pieces fire this. confidentit should work. no 90 degree here!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
NWA- Just wondering if you ever followed through with this little project, and if so, how did it work out for you?

I have most of the things laying around to make one but was curious what you thought about it.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
cerge reactor with two 90 degree turns did not affect my flow much. i used 3/4 elbows and 3/4 piping inside reactor. i also drilled out the inside where flow could be resitricted. using 5/8 id piping i headted and siliconed to get over 3/4 elbows. works fantasitc. actually using less than half c02 than i did with inline diffuser from GLA.
very efficient

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
Hmm... I will have my inline diffuser tomorrow and gonna give that a shot, but if that doesnt work as well I hope this would be my next step I think. I have been doing hours of research and cant decide which is better the Cerges or the Rex reactor. I think the cerges would be easier to service if it ever needed it and plus Id think it would be easier to mount as well. I think if I dont find a good answer on this I will end up starting a thread to get more opinions on which one and why.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode