Aquarium Stand Design Ideas - Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Aquarium Stand Design Ideas - Help

I'm looking to make a stand for a 60g tank that is 48"x16"x17" (LxWxH) and have the basic design ready. It'll probably look like an average stand, but I want some nice things in it that'll make it better (design or function) than a store-bought stand. For one idea I wanted to use hydraulics for the hood so that it'll glide up and stay, then push it down when I'm done. I just need a few more ideas like that to start the creative juices so that I can have a really nice stand when I finish. I'm using a Fluval 305 canister, 2x 54w T5HO lights, and compressed CO2 if that helps at all.

Thanks

Last edited by theloneplant; 09-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just for a little something to make things easier, while I am in the process of building my stand (almost complete!) I realized that I can put some custom drawers mounted under the top side of the stand, and just have them hidden by the doors. This will be perfect for holding all the small items that end up getting pushed to the back, or under various extra hoses, vials, etc. It will also give me a place to put my keys and wallet when I get home from work.
The hydraulics sound like something that would be kinda cool, really expensive, and completely unnecessary. If you want to spend that sort of cash on a stand, my personal recommendation would be to head to your local hardware store, and hang out in the trim/moulding isle for a while, just looking at what they have, and trying to figure out how you can use it.
Also, what is your backgroun with regard to wood working? You might want to start small, so you can figure out things that you didn't know you didn't know.
If you have a design figured out, then post a pic of it! Scan it, photo it, or draw it up on paint/photoshop/powerpoint/sketchup so we can check out your idea.

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

Make sure to mount a paper towel holder somewhere underneath. It'll be the best $10 you spend.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@moonshinetheslacker
I've looked at some hydraulics at auto part stores and the kind that I would be getting are about $20 each, which isn't too bad. In terms of my woodworking skills, I've done a lot of projects in the past and am pretty confident with this.

I like the drawer idea, it would save plenty of floor space in the cabinet and sounds really handy. I will definitely put a paper towel holder somewhere in it, maybe inside the door.

I also think that I should also have the front of the hood slide up and off so I can work closer to the tank rather than having to reach over the lip of the hood and try to see where I'm working. I'll probably put hydraulics in last and if I have the money just because they are only really wanted not needed by any means.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Include some sort of work surface that you can slide out to put plants/rocks/nets/etc. on while you work. I tried to do this but couldn't figure out how to do it right. If you go on youtube there's a guy who made a stand with what is essentially a "drop-leaf" side--he could lift it up to create a nice table on one end of the tank.

sns26

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Theloneplant, the hydraulic idea is pretty cool, don't get me wrong. I would certainly give you a wow factor if I came to your place, and your hood lifted up like robocop's... arm.

SNS26, that's a pretty cool idea. I'm sure there's something you could get off amazon that's made for RVs which would totally work for a little table like you explain.

I just thought of another one. Maybe a spice rack mounted to the inside of one of the doors? Another place for small vials, ferts, medicines, etc. Not sure if it would be necessary if you used drawers as well, but it would probably be cheaper and easier.

Also, some sort of small LED, or puck light inside the cabinet that will help you find stuff. That would be handy.

you mention it will look "like a normal stand" check out cabinet doors. The doors are really what make the difference in cabinets. You hardly notice anything other than the doors, and the door pulls. I've bought cabinet doors from these folk before

http://www.cabinetdoordepot.com/rtf_..._205categ.html

They build the door out of the kind of wood you want, drill holes in the places you want the holes drilled for the types of hinges you want, and basically do all the hard parts. Plus they're reasonably priced. Good looking doors can make what you build go from "I built that stand" "oh, nice!" to "I built that stand" "Wow! Really?"

As a matter of fact, yes, I always post, or reply, in novels. I'm adding it to my signature because it seems like I say it in every post!
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nice suggestions, the small table does seem like it would be really helpful. The problem is I cant put it on the side of the tank since I wouldn't have room for it. I might be able to put it somewhere else but idk where...

I've actually thought about doing the spice rack idea too and I think that would be extremely useful. The LED idea is also good, in one of my old tanks it had a small fluorescent fixture that really helped out.

I'll start sketching the ideas later today and hopefully upload it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quite a few ideas here, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...iy-stands.html.

I wanted to do the compressed cylinders...didn't work with the dimensions of a 48 inch light and a 48 inch tank. My curved cherry canopy is in the first few pages...for me, going to a furniture grade cabinet is a big step that will make a big difference. Also, getting away from boxy light canopies by going to led lighting will keep the weight down above.

Figure out what kind of filtration you want to run and go from there.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank01 View Post
Make sure to mount a paper towel holder somewhere underneath. It'll be the best $10 you spend.
OMG, I totally agree
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking more about the stand ideas and think I devised a pretty cool way to make a work area for me without much space or design modification to my stand. The idea is simple. I will make shelving as usual (I've leaned away from drawers) and have a wood panel just touching the top of the opening of the door. The panel is horizontal and will pull out just like a drawer, and will be on both doors so I will have 2 small "tables" that slide out of the top of my door openings. I'm excited for this because preparing plants and testing water will be so much easier with it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode