The Big Kahuna Tank (pic heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking The Big Kahuna Tank (pic heavy)

Howdy all,
I'm not new to tanks (mult. fresh and reef tanks), but I am new to the idea of vivariums, paludariums, terrariums, etc... I've been on a few other forums, no one really seems interested in the build and have gotten very little to no feedback. So here I am! (Besides ya'll are on tapatalk and THATS what's up).

So anyways, stumbled across the idea online and had to have one. Just so happens I had an extra tank laying around the house and went for it. Have a bunch of pictures of the build so far and I'm kinda stuck on the next move. So here we have it....

The Original Idea

Tryin' to get a feel for it

Thought I was going to have to drill the tank to get the water clarity I wanted for the fish.

False Bottom

Still unsure about plumbing for fog. I know they need larger gauge pipe but unsure if the idea would even work. Looking for four fog outlets, just for effects.

Retaining walls cut

Girlfriend's artistic interpretation lol

Now all the questions really start to arise.

Canister vs In-tank filter for waterfall? Really unsure of headroom, sumps, etc for this small amount of water. Just want it to be clear and clean.

What about this fog? Think it's possible to plumb fog like this?

I also have plans for a misting system and air circulation but havent gotten there just yet. I also decided to go with the great stuff background (once I have all my plumbing in place) and foam over it. Silicone then substrate etc etc. The narrow water section will also be sloped for a shallow area/ easy exit for the dart frogs.
I'm trying to think of more questions but I'll post back with them and more pictures as I have siliconed the walls in and blacked out the tank!

Thanks for looking and ANY input!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 AM
War

I like what you're doing here. Can't wait to see it come to fruition.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Extremely interesting idea.

I can't really comment on the filtration, but for fog, have you considered one of those ultra-sonic fountain misters? I don't know if putting it into the main tank water would be a good idea or not, but you could prowly figure out a separate place to put it if you had to. On the other hand, I have seen ones meant for putting into ponds, so they may well be fine in the main water area ....

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have heard of the in water ones but not too sure of the effect it would have on the fish. I really like the idea of the fog dropping over the waterfall and out of the trees. Maybe im taking it too far? lol here some updated pics. Blacked out and siliconed in. Sry bad pics (camera phone)

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

when's this thing safe to water test? 100% silicone cure time?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
several days is your best bet.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK so I'll wait and stare I'm thinking the in-tank filter is going to be the way to go. I wanted the waterfall to sit higher but the base has to sit in the waterline. Oh well. Maybe I can plumb a return in the wall just in case I find something that will work...hmmm
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I think it would be better served by a small utility pump and an overflow box. Easy enough to make a tray olr two for "filtration". Would definitely provide a more visually appealing look.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
A sump might be a good idea for this project. I'm assuming that a constant water level would be a Good Idea, and a sump would work to offset evaporation effects on the water level, as well as giving you more "space" for livestock.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So build like a mini overflow? And diy links to something like that? The sump is probably the best idea but really didn't want to drill the tank on my own. Like 50 dollhairs a bit. Think I could get a glass company to do it for cheaper? And what size return pump would I be looking at for about 4ft? I guess a ball valve would do the trick. I always worries about bogging a pump down too far.

My original idea was to drill it and put a filter sock on the drain to a 10g sump with a couple HOB filters running the back up the back of the tank, thru the wall and down the water fall. And it would REALLY help with the evap.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
A diamond bit should only be $10-15 dollars. It'll do around 10 holes before wearing out.

Cool build you have here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

Excellent!
The construction forum on Dendroboard will also have a lot of good feed back and info for you. This is right up their alley.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Im not sure how much water you plant to have circulating total but I would think that an Eheim classic 2215/2217 would be a great filter for your needs. They produce about the clearest water of any canister on the market, are easily removed from the system via quick disconnects (which also function as a flow control by being able to turn down the flow rate on the outflow side) and also present very good bio filtration.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:39 PM

I cant wait to see this up and running.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
A diamond bit should only be $10-15 dollars. It'll do around 10 holes before wearing out.

Cool build you have here.
Jcgd, where are you finding these prices?! HD ridgid diamond bits were like 45 for 1 3/8". They didn't even sell the 1 1/4". I'm asuming a 1" overflow? 1 1/4" bit for the bulkhead to fit?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode