Diy filter pads!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do you think it was helpfull?
yes 4 50.00%
no 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Diy filter pads!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47bOa...feature=colike

if this works, then its a good vid i found.
i use them personally myself.

i also want to see if i should find more vids and post them about diy stuff, so take a vote if you like this or not.

and if you have time, take a look at this one: very interesting setup with bubble counter and Hagen ladder diffuser:
http://youtu.be/a1VvvzGvPJ4

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

Last edited by Kibblemania1414; 09-21-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes or no?

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
For me personally, I don't think the design is great. I'm sure it works just fine though.

I think the how-to vids are great though. I know I'll check them out if you post more.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Double post

Last edited by jcgd; 10-02-2011 at 06:06 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
1) Get a tripod!

2) I just took the old filter frame, put that quilt batting over the frame, clipped it on top and rubber-banded it in place. Seems like it would work better with that filter design. Most of your media is doing nothing, with this setup.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I personally just stuff the hob filter with the poly and your good to go. I don't see the need to use a bag to put it in.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ill be sure to get a tripod...

And the bag will help if u put bio max in there...

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

Last edited by Kibblemania1414; 09-19-2011 at 09:51 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What should the next vid be about?
Im taking suggestions now

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You could save even more money if you used the loose polyfill from Walmart instead of the sheet batting. $2 or $3 less anyway. Good job on the video. Keep em coming.

Cheers
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you m00se, much appreciated!
And i will think of another diy video in time, but it would roll out faster if you guys gave me some suggestions, my arms are open.

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Good work on the DIY.

Personally though, I like to use the filter pads that are recommended by my manufacturer for the canisters I run (eheim and Rena Filstar). They fit perfect, give you varying density over the course of filtration (coarser to finer) and regardless of what the manufacturer says, you do not need to buy new ones until they disintegrate. In my case this has been over 5 years and the pads still look new after many, many cleanings.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree, i usually never listen to thier "3 month or week" thing.
I started making these for my hob filter beause i think they would last more, for the manuctures filter Pads, i think their covering is too thin.

And i think this only works for hob filters, because ive never tried to put it in my canister filter.

Gl everyone
Happy plankeeping

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblemania1414 View Post
I agree, i usually never listen to thier "3 month or week" thing.
I started making these for my hob filter beause i think they would last more, for the manuctures filter Pads, i think their covering is too thin.

And i think this only works for hob filters, because ive never tried to put it in my canister filter.

Gl everyone
Happy plankeeping
Yeah HOB filters have a horrible choice for media.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
I think you'd be better off stuffing the floss into the filter and then use the bag to hold the bio-media by itself. Then you can easily remove the bio media when you want to toss the floss.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Yeah HOB filters have a horrible choice for media.

and amp, that just makes it like... 10X easier to change!
good idea

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

Tags
diy, filter, pads, usefull, video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode