DIY lily pipes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
DIY lily pipes

I have a Eheim 2213 on the way and plan on making DIY lily pipes. I was wondering what size acrylic tubing I will need to make them? Please give OD and ID.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Or you could simply measure the OD & ID of the eheim tubing.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3ww3rd View Post
I have a Eheim 2213 on the way and plan on making DIY lily pipes.
.....I don't have it yet that's why I was asking. Also I wasn't asking for the dimensions of the Eheims tubing, I was asking what size acrylic tubing to use for the lily pipes ID & OD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
1/2 to 9/16" ID

5/8" OD
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Falcon View Post
1/2 to 9/16" ID

5/8" OD
uh. no.

1/2" OD, the tubing on a 2213 is 1/2 inch. 5/8" will be too big and you won't be able to stretch it w/out breaking.

Get 1/2"OD and for ID, get whatever you want, just make it thick enough so that it'll still be rigid but not too thick that it'll be too hard to bend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome. I got some acrylic tubing today that is 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID....does that sound like a good size to make the lily pipes out of? Basically I just don't want to get too small of an ID and it build up back pressure. If anyone has 13mm factory made lily pipes that could measure their ID and let me know that would be great. thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Dr3,

Coming from someone who made them for a while, and I may start having some time to make them again soon; that'll be fine. I actually still have some 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID and it should be fine. Just make sure your bends don't flatten out too much, that'll cause back up more than anything.

I just noticed that your in Winston-Salem... not too far from Raleigh.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
3/8th ID is very small.... :X

We even sometimes avoid this in watercooling PC's with mag driven pumps...

isnt there a simpler way of coupling 1/2ID tube to 1/2ID tubing?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
Just make sure your bends don't flatten out too much, that'll cause back up more than anything.
If you were to fill the tubing with sand or some other material like that, wouldnt it help keep the round shape of the tubing while bending?

|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post
If you were to fill the tubing with sand or some other material like that, wouldnt it help keep the round shape of the tubing while bending?
Sand would melt to the plastic. Salt would work better.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I made some DIY pipes for my 2213 and to keep the bends from distorting the tubing shape I used a round piece of electrical cord / wire that matched the ID of the tube. Coat the wire heavily with vaseline and you will get perfect bends. I experimented with salt and sand but found that some small amount of pitting and distortion of the round shape occured with both.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode