Polishing scratches. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Polishing scratches.

I have some scratches in my larger tank, soon building a new stand to I will have to tear it down to move it over. I've heard you can use a compound called jewlers rouge to get rid of scratches, anyone try it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Do a search for cerium oxide on this forum or google it with the word "aquarium". I tried it once but it didn't work for me. My tank at the time was custom made (by someone else) so that could have had something to do with it (perhaps the type of glass?).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I looked at that myself. I found it would have been easier & cheaper to just buy a another aquarium. This from a guy that will try to build anything before he'll buy new.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Car Light Polisher

I guess that's another possibility (Autozone, Pepboys, or WallyWorld might have it)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
i have cerium oxide , you need a felt buffing wheel or a angle grinder with a felt pad
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd DIY everything if it were possible, lol.

Ill do some more reasearch on it, maybe talk to a local glass shop. I can live with the scratches if there isn't and economical and inexpensive way to get rid of them. I have to tear down my tank soon for a new stand, so i thought id give it a try.

|
|

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to aczeller Send a message via MSN to aczeller Send a message via Yahoo to aczeller
I assume you are talking about a glass tank... for acrylic, you can use headlight scratch remover/polisher. just make sure the tank is clean before using it again.

The New Guy... GO HUSKERS!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, it's glass.

|
|

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
glass is harder than acrylic, to this day I haven't heard of it being possible but my ears arent that open, but i wish you luck, if i were you i would diy it =]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to aczeller Send a message via MSN to aczeller Send a message via Yahoo to aczeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
glass is harder than acrylic, to this day I haven't heard of it being possible but my ears arent that open, but i wish you luck, if i were you i would diy it =]
it is possible to polish scratches out of glass. there are a few companies, Eastwood I believe is one of them, that carry kits for polishing windshields on antique cars. in order to replace the windshield on a 1948 packard is not only expensive, but also degrades the value if the original glass is not used, it is highly sought after. if you can polish glass scratches out, you might want to talk to a few restoration shops in your area. lots of guys want it done, but don't want to pay the initial investment for something they are just going to use once, maybe twice. it's not cheap to do once, but if you can polish enough glass with it, it's worth the time.

the best part about most of those kits is that you just need a drill. the kit comes with the required pastes/grits, as well as the heads/pads.

Later,
Andy

The New Guy... GO HUSKERS!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually you'r right, I own a 66 mercury and the back glass is almost impossible to find. When I got the car It has scratches in the glass from the previous owner taking off the metal trim around the inside. I did have those polished out, but it cost me a fortune.

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode