DIY: Tank Cooling Fan w/ Thermostat? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (470/100%)
Question DIY: Tank Cooling Fan w/ Thermostat?

Will this work? [Ebay Link Removed]

Or are there other (cheaper) methods to do a PC fan hooked up to a tank for cooling?

I can't find thermostats where you just plug an outlet in or something and it comes one room temp gets past a certain degree, like a light timer essentially, for under $10

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 28 - Pharmacist.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
post the item number...ebay links get deleted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Oppsy! I didn't know : )

Item number: 380366302001

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
@$27 it seems kinda expensive for 2 fans...and the temp sensing seems unneeded

why not just get a fan and transformer (probably half the price) and hook it up to a timer? and just play with it til you get it to where you want it? tho Im curious, how hot is your tank getting? summer is almost over ya kno
to your local Radioshack!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping there are cheap thermostat systems where the fan would only come on when the water temp gets past 78F or something like that. I saw that on some forums awhile back, but they didn't say how they made it. Seems pretty neat since I won't need the fan running all the time or only on at certain times when the timer switch on.

In my town it looks like summers just starting. LoL. Its been pretty warm lately.

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I ordered 2 of these:
Ebay search "110v aquarium thermostat" item 120774106366

They're $20 shipped. But the temperature sensor is waterproof so should work fine submerged. I also got some cheap $1.50 extension cords I'll use to make the plugs for my tank fans. And as a bonus it can also be connected to a heater. So too hot, fan comes on. Too cold, heater comes on.

I haven't gotten them yet, but it appears to be the cheapest way to do it. Crossing my fingers it works and I don't electrocute myself in the process.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Is there a thermostat system that works like a digital timer?

Basically something that plugs into the wall and you set its "off" and "on temp". So whatever you plug into it will turn on once it passes a certain temp? That would be much easier and reduce the risk of electrocution : )

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I bought a box of 4 coolermaster 120mm fans for 10 bucks, they run super silent and are real good at cooling down my tanks. A thermostat would be pretty cool though because right now I have them hooked up to my light timer, makes my water evaporate pretty quick.

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Will this work? [Ebay Link Removed]
Probably not what you would expect. There is no temperature controller for turning the fans on or off. What you are getting is just two PC cooling fans connected to a power adapter. Therefore, the fans will NOT run faster or slower to compensate for the temperature change.

Quote:
Or are there other (cheaper) methods to do a PC fan hooked up to a tank for cooling?

I can't find thermostats where you just plug an outlet in or something and it comes one room temp gets past a certain degree, like a light timer essentially, for under $10
I use the Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:01 AM
PC1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (131/98%)
I use the Ranco ETC-111000-000 Digital Temperature Controller.[/QUOTE]

+1 a little costly but well worth the money. I have 3 fans in 3 tanks pluged into 1 power strip controlled by the ranco. Each tank holds virtually the same temp. 71-72 deg try looking for one on ebay you can sometimes score a good deal.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

I have found some thermostats that are designed for reptiles and such but it is not digital. There is a knob you have to work with in trial and error as to when it should come on or turn off. Kinda pesky.

Having a digital thermostat to plug your fan in beats clicking the fan on/off everyday, but I don't think anything over $20 for one is worth it for what it can do. Mind as well leave the fan on all day when its summer time and just turn it off at night : )

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomMan View Post
I ordered 2 of these:
Ebay search "110v aquarium thermostat" item 120774106366

They're $20 shipped. But the temperature sensor is waterproof so should work fine submerged. I also got some cheap $1.50 extension cords I'll use to make the plugs for my tank fans. And as a bonus it can also be connected to a heater. So too hot, fan comes on. Too cold, heater comes on.

I haven't gotten them yet, but it appears to be the cheapest way to do it. Crossing my fingers it works and I don't electrocute myself in the process.
I looked at your suggestion but from the picture, I don't understand how to connect the power of the adapter for the fan to it. There is no actual "plug" like a digital timer would have.

Looks like a really opened system, don't want to risk getting my bf electrocuted since he'll be taking care of this stuff.

post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
my tanks seem to do okay with the changing temps, about 83 mid day if my ac isnt on and around 77 early morning before the heat comes back all fish are healthy and eat like they are starving all of the time, unless your temps are going way over 85 I wouldnt worry too much, if you had coral and sensitive salt water fish that would be a problem, or even cold water species. but i assume you have tropics?

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

If I am not raising CRS then the heat would actually be a plus for my other shrimps, but since CRS struggle in temps 80F and above, that gets me worried : (

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If I am not raising CRS then the heat would actually be a plus for my other shrimps, but since CRS struggle in temps 80F and above, that gets me worried : (
IMHO, unless you got your CRS dirt cheap, a temperature controller is well worth it.

Tags
cooler, cooling fan, light timer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode