Homebrewing/CO2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Homebrewing/CO2 question

I was wondering if there are any homebrewers (wine, beer, mead, etc...) out there who hooked their carboys up to their co2 diffusers. I've been watching my airlock bubble on a batch of plum wine and thinking "I wish I could put that in my tank!" but I don't know if it would affect the taste of the wine. Would wine yeast produce too much co2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Darnit, I just read a thread in another forum talking about baking yeast vs wine yeast and I cannot remember the results lol.

I vaguely remember them saying that wine yeast is obivously much more efficient, and will produce for a considerably longer time than your regular house hold hold yeast. I'm not sure about how much, or if its "too much".

But, if its safe to use then you should be able to. If it ends up being "too much", just add a big of aggitation to the water and get a bit of gas exchange,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
The danger of this is if there ends up being any outflow of whats in the carboy/fermenter into your tank. Otherwise no, it should be the same thing.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
The danger of this is if there ends up being any outflow of whats in the carboy/fermenter into your tank. Otherwise no, it should be the same thing.
You could eliminate that by building a diy bubble counter using a jar or bottle with water. Anything that gets out would get caught there with no chance of getting to the tank.

|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajean80 View Post
I was wondering if there are any homebrewers (wine, beer, mead, etc...) out there who hooked their carboys up to their co2 diffusers. I've been watching my airlock bubble on a batch of plum wine and thinking "I wish I could put that in my tank!" but I don't know if it would affect the taste of the wine. Would wine yeast produce too much co2?
Too funny. I was just at the local fish store talking with one of the kids that worked there and jokingly commented that I could use to CO2 from my fermentation to. It would be fun to combine the two hobbies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
i wouldnt dare potentially waste beer or wine by hooking it up to a fish tank

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i wouldnt dare potentially waste beer or wine by hooking it up to a fish tank
This.

Also, the fact is that a 5 gallon batch of beer pushes out a TON of co2 quick, then after about 3 days, basically nothing. While I usually have 4 fermenters going, I'd have to have like 20 going to have a consistent rate(and inconsistency causes algae. I promise).

Plus, the levels could easily get high, too high.

I wouldn't risk ruining a batch of good wine over a few bucks in your tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode