DIY CO2 Diffuser? Will this WORK? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation DIY CO2 Diffuser? Will this WORK?

I had a cool idea that i think will work to diffuse CO2 through my tank but i figured i would get some opinions before i did it. This is the idea...

The syphoning tube that you use to do water changes, take it and put one of those flexible bubble wall tubes in it folded in half. Then hook your co2 hose up to the top of the syphon, then plug the bubble wall into your pump, the pump will supply oxygen bubbles that will flow up into the syphon tube mixing with the c02 and then pushing it out from the bottom of the syphon tube, thus spreading it all over the aquarium. The only problems i can see in this design is the bubbles going up rapidly causing oxygen to form in the co2 hose causing the co2 to not be able to come out of the hose, but im not sure that this would even happen, which i dont THINK that it will. Well im just brainstorming, someone tell me what they think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I don't understand the concept you are describing, but... As soon as you involve "Oxygen" (air) bubbles you are going to have problems, because they need to raise up to the surface, and if they are mixed with CO2 you will probably move all CO2 up to the surface and lose it instead of mixing it with water. Try to use a powerhead in connection with the tube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 AM

Im not sure if I get your concept right From the sound of it,.......... a very small amount of co2 will mix with a large amount of air from the pump then the mixed gas will burp out the bottom of the tube and quickly rise to the surface, releasing the gas from the bubble to the air above the water. This would not be efficient. You need to dissolve the gas into the water, mixing it with the air will not help get the co2 dissolved into the water
A very simple way to inject co2 would be to use a $15 dollar glass diffuser

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think I know what you are saying...

I think that you were looking at an undergravel filter, and got the idea that bubbles can potentially generate current. To me, it sounds like your design calls for a gravel cleaner placed into the tank with the tube (which usually runs to a bucket) placed in the tank as well. You hope to have an airstone (place in the large part) drive a current that will expel the air, plus the injected CO2, out the attached hose.

CO2 dissolving issues aside, without having ever tested this experiement, I can tell you that only one result is possible: The entire thing will fill with air and blurb out one or both ends. CO2 (diluted with air) will be in very brief contact with the water.

I hope I didn't misunderstand your design (or maybe, I hope I did ). I love new ideas, especially when it comes to CO2 reactors. A crude drawing (using MS Paint) would be worth 1000 words. Or better yet, do your experiment and post your results.

Always like to see folks with thier wheels turning.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Heya guys. Just saw your posts and decided share my ideea of a pretty efficient CO2 diffuser. Initially, 'bout 4 months ago when i first heard of the concept, i tried the "bell" powered by the diy yeast sugar thing. At that time it seemed like a good ideea to go for the bell, because it was cheap (didn't cost me a nickle) and easy to build (upsidedown icecream container). Anyway i can tell you that was pretty efficient, because my plants were beginning to create small bubbles of oxygen under intense light).
Anyway, i improoved the diffusion of the bell by cutting off the top of the container and gluing on it a piece of "women stockings" - i don't know if that's the term for it - so the difusion is made both beneath and above the container. The thing about the stocking material is that when it's wet, it doesn't allow the co2 to pass it and holds it there untill it completely disolves into the water. Best efficiency recorded at 5 inches submersion.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The nylon hose CO2 diffuser would make an excellent photo to show. Does it really trap the CO2 bubbles? I think you have a money maker here - form the hose material into figures, like a whale or something similar. Then you have a decoration for the tank plus a diffuser.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Yes it traps the gas efficiently buy the main issue is the unpleasant aspect. I kinda made it look decent with the use of some rubber bands, but really a picture would be needed, but unfortunately i only got the Sony Ericsson T630 camera phone that takes crappy pictures.
if you try to build one, be sure to tension the hose as it tends to curve under the pression of the gas underneath, but do not bend it too much. Also, at the end of the air tube that goes into the bell, be sure to add a seringe needle(but cut it's sharp tip cause the fish can be seriously stung) thus reducing the size of the bubbles because if the CO2 bubbles come out to powerfully they will disturb all the trapped gas, making it escape in a sudden burst. Even knoking on the aquarium wall is risky.
As for the decorations... i'm not sure it would work.
All the best, Liviu.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode