Single led heatsinks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Single led heatsinks

What should i mount these on?? i was thinking aluminium bar??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What single LED heatsinks? Do you mean the 22 mm diameter "star" LED mounts we can buy LEDs pre-mounted to?

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

^Agreed with Hoppy, need more info.

If you are using a single 3-watt type LED and running it under 500mA, you can mount it to any piece of aluminum (or copper) that's around 1/8" thick or more and as wide as possible. I'd shoot for a 2X2" piece.

If you are running it more than 500mA I recommend you look around for something a bit beefier. You can get all sorts of small useful heatsinks from computer repair shops. Just take the LED to them and ask if they have any scrap heatsinks laying around that have a flat spot big enough to handle that LED. And again, the bigger, the better.

If you are approaching 1,000mA on your current, you definitely want something that's around 3/16ths or 1/4" thick with some fins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sorry guys i was very vauge, i mean the single led heatsinks from rapidled with the fins.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Interesting problem. Those heat sinks were originally for electronics and the holes were for attaching the heat sink to the chassis.
If you are handy with a drill, or have access to a drill press, drill a couple of holes in the other side for a hanger or to mount on a rail, such as an aluminum bar. Thermal epoxy would probably work too.

If you're patient, self drilling self tapping screws are what I've used to mount single LEDs to computer surplus heat sinks. That would save the cost of a tap.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah you could use basically any good brand 2-part epoxy since you're sticking the heatsink to something else. Thermal epoxy is costly but will work too.

The problem have with these is that huge hole in the middle. I would not run any LED over 300mA with this heatsink. The hole is in a fatally unfortunate spot, right where the heat is produced and where heatsinking is ESPECIALLY critical.

For the price, you could buy a 12" strip of their other heatsink ($10) and cut it into 1" long squares for individual LEDs. You'd have 11-12 of them for $10.

To cut them all you need is either a miter saw, a table saw (with sliding square), a reciprocating "sawzall", or jigsaw with a clamp to hold it.

You could sweat it with a handheld hacksaw too. De-burr it with sandpaper or a dremel with a sanding drum on it.

But I would not use this:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode