Ive Finnished My Reactor! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ive Finnished My Reactor!

Finaly ive finnished building an inline reactor to go on the outlet of my ehiem...
Ive moulded a 6mm plastic fitting into it, and the 2 pipes in the top and bottom and one is threaded so i can access the inside. my problem is with the 6mm fitting for the co2 to enter the reactor.. which sort of non return should i use? im not to worried about the dissolving issues im just worried about the pressure of the water on the inside. im not getting no vacume instead its forcing the water out if i remove the bung. shall i just use one of them air pump non returns the type with the rubber triangle inside?. will the be sufficient to keep the water from passing through it?

im not sure if its leek proof.. ill know tomorow morning tho lol.

also just one more thing. my canister seems to be taking air from somewhere... ive recently built a surface skimmer which worked very well but im not sure if air could have got it.. ive removed it now and ill see how it works tomorow. but i was thinking that if the intake is restriced. would this cause the (and im not sure if this is right or not) 'ventura' effect?
does this mean that the suction of the pump could cause air to be sucked in around the gasket or through any other grommets or fittings outside of the tank?

it doesent air lock, i can just shake the filter and make it gargle and catch up and kick all the air out.. as for tonite ive removed the skimmer, and ive reduced the outlet flow just slighly on the ball valve in the hope that it will regulate the vacume caused.. if this is the case.

ive checked for cracks etc in the canister everything seems aok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use a regular airline checkvalve as close as you can get it to the reactor. ( mine has a 1" piece of tubing between the two ) It will stop the water from flowing out of the reactor.
As a safety precaution againts leaks, I ran a bead of silicone around all my joints. ( I don't think thats necessary but it made mefeel better )

The only way I think air could have gotten in through your skimmer is if it ran dry. Your problem could just be air trapped in the canister. I have a similar problem with my XP3 every time I disconnect/connect the filter. Tipping the filter back and forth a few times usually solve my problem.
Maybee someone more familiar with the Eheim may have a different answer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode