JBJ nano light - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
JBJ nano light

So I've got this JBJ 12g nano I plan to set up but it's got a slight problem with the lighting. I don't want to invest in a new hood since it seems very minor but I am not very handy with wiring/electricity.
So the problem is the little cap where the wire is crimped into that goes on one of the pins to the light has snapped off. I've tried to take it to Home Depot and they had no idea how I would go about fixing it, they said to try to go to Michaels or some craft store so I was like Home Depot you failed me.
The part where the wire is crimped into the little metal cap is broken and I've tried using the rest of the cap thing and crimping it in myself but I can't seem to get it right.
I know the light works because sometimes if I get it in the perfect spot it lights up but that's just by holding the live wire to the end of the pin.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
You might get better input if you go to your local helpful place (Ace Hardware). If you pick the slowest part of the day (may vary by location) to bring your hood in, they might just have the fix for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have an Ace about a half hour away, there is a zimmerman True Value much closer that I might try to take it to, would Ace be the better bet?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
Just from experience, I get better assistance at the smaller outfits compared to home depot or lowes. IMO, sometimes they're just too big to care, but sometimes you get lucky and find an actual person that's interested in helping.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah, sounds great. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rawr I was not in luck the guy told me to do what I already tried with the old female piece, I need a new little female piece for the connector pin and I couldn't find it at Ace,
or someone who knows more about all of this/that can help me.

Is there any kind of wire harness I could DIY onto a straight 4 pin compact fluorescent instead of trying to find the same piece for it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No luck with the light. People from ace and true value were just as helpful as those from home depot. Tried very much to use what was left of the female piece of the connector pin to rig it up and crimp in the wire but nothing. Also tried a few other things like those little alligator clamps and some other random things I found that I thought might work.
So with all that I'm about ready to buy a new one. sadface.
Cannot for the life of me find one cheaper than $90+ shipping.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
solder? could you post a picture?
it's possible sometimes to take the plug apart and solder the wire directly to where it was once crimped in, but this requires a lot of messing around with little parts.
Hobby stores tend to have a better selection of small parts to fix these things than hardware stores (sometimes)
Home depot (if you are talking about your standard 4 pin compact florescent plug) may have something,
if you can't find little parts locally, google it .. you'd be surprised what you can find on ebay or some other parts website.. just look up 'compact fluorescent parts' or "snap in lamp socket fluorescent" etc.. but for here on the forum.. I think more pictures or better description of parts would help us help you.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is basically what I'm working with.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

do each of those wires disconnect separately from the pins?

was there originally a socket?

http://www.gladiatorlighting.com/pro...iax-lamps.html
http://www.coollights.biz/2g11-base-p-38.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twin-Tube-Fl...item5ae2098598
they're on amazon too

this is the kind of socket that may help you. Or you can go to the hobby store and find a round socket electric clip and crimp or solder it to your wire.
sometimes your local fish store will have lighting pieces (like sockets and such).

pretty much I think if you look up "2g11 base" you will find what you're looking for. You'll just have to find one that matches the mounting setup that the canopy was build with .. possibly buy a few small screws.. I think you could get away with a total fix under 15 dollars.

the bulb is not a one off, it's just a matter of finding the right part. If all else fails you can get a small gator clip and solder the wire to it.. then clip it to the pin.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got I off craigslist so I have no idea if there was one of those harnesses to begin with but that would totally work.

Tried the gator clip didn't work.

The light will work sometimes when I plug in all the wires and hold the live wire to the pin.

Yes they all do plug in separately.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I was going to buy that first one but shipping is more than the damn socket itself. I suppose if any of those would work the ebay one will be like $5 or $6 total so I think I'll go that route.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

have you received the socket?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did. Having troubles attaching the wires though. There are little holes below where they go in but theres no clear way to secure them in there. I thought it would be like a trapdoor kinda thing but nope they just slide right out. I'll post a pic after work.
Damn me for being cheap.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a pic.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode