Cooling. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Cooling.

Okay, so I've got a tank that I plan to put OEBT shrimp in. Right now the temp is staying right around 75 room temp is 73-74. I'm wondering if anyone can think of a good way to cool it down. Being that it has a closed top I can't exactly just use a fan, but maybe there is away to install a small fan in the hood? The tank is one of these

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
75 should be fine for OEBT's.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Really? I thought optimal breeding temp was around 72.

Canon Pimp Club #002

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you have/want to shell out some $$$$ you can buy a SW chiller but I would say they are fine.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

I suppose I can give it a shot, I just hope the temp doesn't fluctuate too much, I'm sure it will fluctuate a degree or so throughout the day.

Kinda want something in place as a precaution though.

I'd rather not purchase a chiller, lol.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There are tiny pec chillers that you could use.... I'd try rigging up a small muffin fan first though..
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a few PC fans inside the hood of my 72 gallon to drop the temp. in the summer. Usually lowers it about 5 degrees or so. The only downfall is that it speeds up evaporation like crazy. Lowers about 5-6 gallons a week. I don't know anything about your shrimp, but it's an idea if you're just talking a few degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fans.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	34144  

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
There are tiny pec chillers that you could use.... I'd try rigging up a small muffin fan first though..
Could you Elaborate on the muffin pan thing? Not really sure what you mean, but it sounds neat.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

I thought about using a PC fan, but it might even be too big for my little 5 gallon, I'd have to see if I can even fit it in the hood.... I might try it out though.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The temp should be fine.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Okay looks like people are saying temps will be fine, so my next question is how high is to high? The tank is on the southern wall of the room it is in, but there are windows on the west wall, so I'm assuming the temp will heat up in the evening hours. I don't expect it to go past 77 which I'm thinking will be borderline okay?

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the temp hits 77, you're pushing it. They make similar fans to PC fans that are smaller that you could mod into that hood.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
If the temp hits 77, you're pushing it. They make similar fans to PC fans that are smaller that you could mod into that hood.
Temp is curenttly 76.7... Could you point me in the direction nof those fans, please? I'm going to pick up a computer fan at work tomorrow, to see if I can make that work.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Canon pimp #002

Found a small 12v Fan in an old car radio, so hooked the thing up to a Ac adapter. I ill probably install it into the hood tomorrow evening. Might end up needing another one, but for no I'm going to see if one will be enough first.

Canon Pimp Club #002
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
One will likely do you quite well -- the main cooling mechanism will be evaporation, which doesn't actually require that much air flow. I have a fan on my 40 tall that only pushes ~3 cfm, and it keeps my temp down and condensation cleared out of the hood for me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode