Plumbing for a Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plumbing for a Paludarium

I have a 55G tank that has a specific warning label on it that says tempered glass. I am scared to break it. I have never drilled glass and I certainly don't want to try on this one. Can a professional drill it or should it not be attempted?

Secondly, The best way I can describe my design is a stage. The curtain will be a terraced waterfall and the audience part is the planted tank water area of about 10 to 12 gallons. The side 'columns' as well as a small part behind the curtain will be terraced rocks and plants. I hope this makes sense. I'd draw a picture but I am terrible artist.
If I cannot drill the tank then I want to supply the water for the waterfall from the out port on my external canister filter and pull water from two inlet ports at each front corner of the tank. This would mean a run of about 34 inches of hose from the front of the tank, up over the top rim. Once I over come the pull of gravity(to the top rim of the tank) then the water should 'fall down' to the inlet port on the filter. Has anyone had experience with running a hose this far and what are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can't drill tempered glass. It will break.

Most canisters aren't great at keeping the flow rate up with high heads. Your head height actually is measured up from the water level in the tank, so if it isn't more than a couple of feet you might be ok.

Fountain or pond type pumps are cheap and may work better in your application.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The front, back, and bottom of a 55g are tempered, and can't be drilled. The sides (ends) are not tempered, and can be drilled.
Usually this is not helpful for eliminating visual clutter, but may free up your paludarium design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode